We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

changing planes from London, Philly or Detroit?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
changing planes from London, Philly or Detroit?

we need to get to Ithaca, NY. we are an american citizen & a Brit. which airport is easier & quicker to get through customs and change planes? these two changes are the cheapest and best timing for us but can we do it in less than an hour? we can take carry on only luggage, which should help.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
1. Re: changing planes from London, Philly or Detroit?

Carry on luggage won't really help because 90% + of the hold ups are at immigration, not customs.

One hour is grossly insufficient at any US airport I've ever been to. Even in Heathrow travelling through to Europe when there are no immigration and customs checks one hour is the minimum allowed time for a same-terminal change so it's laughable to have one hour when you have US immigrations notorious delays, customs, and extra security and possibly a terminal change.

Where are you finding flights with a one hour connection? Who is selling them?

Look at flights via Dublin, where you can pre clear, flying direct to NYC or allow three hours for transit.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: changing planes from London, Philly or Detroit?

thanks, I thought minimum 2 hours myself.

it's 1 hour 10 mins on American Airlines, found on opodo

1 hr 30 mins on Delta, found on trip advisor

1 hr 56 mins on United, found on their website

the philly change is the quickest and it's a change of terminals. I don't think so!

will keep looking. thanks for the advice. would rather not go via Dublin as that would mean yet another stop.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
3. Re: changing planes from London, Philly or Detroit?

will keep looking. thanks for the advice. would rather not go via Dublin as that would mean yet another stop.

======

????

London > Dublin > NYC or

London > Philly > NYC or

London > Detroit > NYC

All the same number of stops, am i missing something?

Edited: 20 February 2014, 09:36
Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: changing planes from London, Philly or Detroit?

I'd opt for LHR-ITH with UAL via EWR, layover time at Newark is over 3hrs which is just about enough time to clear INS/Customs

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,253 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: changing planes from London, Philly or Detroit?

Assuming you are non US or Canadian citizens you need to allow 3 hours in transit at your first point of entry into the US.

Those connections offered that you posted are - for you - totally unrealistic. They may/can work for US/Canadian citizens with Global Entry/Nexus and/or TSA Pre, but not you. Don't even try them.

As mentioned, if you fly via Dublin, you can clear US formalities there before your flight to the US, and arrive as a domestic passenger. Then you can think about a shorter layover. Though personally I'd still be wanting 2 hours in case of a delayed inbound flight.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,576 posts
34 reviews
6. Re: changing planes from London, Philly or Detroit?

"we are an american citizen & a Brit. which airport is easier & quicker to get through customs and change planes?"

I don't know but is the UK citizen able to use the US citizen line when travelling with them or do they need to use separate Immigration lines - this could impact on how long you need to clear US Immigration at the arrival airport (assuming you don't opt for the pre clearance at Dublin).

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
7. Re: changing planes from London, Philly or Detroit?

What about Syracuse as your final destination? about an hour's drive from Ithaca-Delta LHR-DTW-SYR seems a good price with sensible connection times

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
8. Re: changing planes from London, Philly or Detroit?

"I don't know but is the UK citizen able to use the US citizen line when travelling with them or do they need to use separate Immigration lines"

My wife is a US/UK citizen, and I am UK only. We always use the US lines, which is generally quicker.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: changing planes from London, Philly or Detroit?

Thanks everyone!

this was lots of help. I ended up getting on the phone and booking through United Airlines.

LHR > EWR > ITH

it's only a 2 hr change, but (ahem) guaranteed ie they'll put us on a later flight if there's delays.

best price too, all in all. time is money!

all the best!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: changing planes from London, Philly or Detroit?

just looking at my itinerary. it's a 4 hour change, even better!