We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights from London (LHR) to Durango Colorado (DRO)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Topic
Flights from London (LHR) to Durango Colorado (DRO)

We are intending to travel from London (LHR) to Durango La Plata (DRO) on Monday 2 June 2014 and returning on Monday 23 June 2014. These dates are flexible, so if deals arise by travelling on different days of the week, we are willing to change.

Whenever I look at diifferent web sites, I find all present me with itineraries of 2 stops and take more than 16 + hours. Typically via Chicago or Newark or others, then to Denver and then finally to Durango. Some of the stopovers are as little as 50 minutes. This in my view is cutting it too fine.

I know that I can fly direct to Denver (and return) by British Airways in around 9 hours. When I log onto the BA site to try and book directly through to Durango (DRO) with a short stopover at Denver, it cannot be done because they (BA) do not have an agreement with a US carrier for this very short final leg of the journey that only takes 75 minutes by air.

Is it possible for me to book a return ticket through an agency in the UK for this complete return trip to Durango (DRO) telling them what I wish to do, without paying over the top for the handing, or can I book independently with BA to Denver and then book on a US web site for the last leg to Durango using my credit card?

Please note. I am an experienced air traveller, but have never travelled in the US.

I would normally have picked up the phone and sorted this out one way or another, but are presently on vacation in a Condominium in Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic, so cannot do this until the end of March.

Any advice including web links will be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
43,755 posts
1,304 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Flights from London (LHR) to Durango Colorado (DRO)

Aardvark,

One of the issues with DRO is the limited number of airlines flying into there - UA, AA/US and FFT (Frontier Airlines - the new one).

Depending alliances, that might narrow things down a bit?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Reply
32. Re: Flights from London (LHR) to Durango Colorado (DRO)

Look....Please let me enlighten everyone. I am only here for information before I return to the UK at the end of March.

When I return to the UK, I will be talking to Trailfinders on the phone as suggested by one kind person. They will obviously know all the pitfalls and fare restrictions pointed out in the last post.

Discussion now ends as far as I am concerned.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
361 posts
1 review
Save Reply
33. Re: Flights from London (LHR) to Durango Colorado (DRO)

That's fine that you are here for information. You now have the information.

I can positively assure you that Trailfinders will not provide you anything more in depth than already detailed here.

Enjoy your conversation with Trailfinders!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: Flights from London (LHR) to Durango Colorado (DRO)

>>>I can positively assure you that Trailfinders will not provide you anything more in depth than already detailed here<<<<

Yes and they will book the ticket for me.

Thanks everyone.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,866 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Flights from London (LHR) to Durango Colorado (DRO)

This isn't scientific, and others may be able to find better options. But, I just plugged LHR-DRO into Matrix for the dates provided.

Cheapest one stop - $928 via DFW, journey times 27hr55 to 31 hours. They all require an overnight at DFW (same for PHX) because the first inbound from LHR arrives after the last DRO flight has left.

Shortest duration - 13hr17, $1081, on LHR-DEN-DRO (the BA flight) ticketed through American or Iberia using their code share numbers, and connecting to Frontier.

The $1081 fare requires a return flight via DFW, but that's also the shortest overall duration. A return via DEN puts the fare up to $1533.

Beware the hand baggage restrictions of Frontier (you have to pay for carry ons in the overhead for agent ticketed flights).

Given that all the one stops cheaper than the DEN flight require an overnight stop, I'd say the extra $150 (plus carry on fee for Frontier, but minus a hotel for the overnight) would be a good bet.

(The cheapest overall is United two stops (but same day arrival) via YYZ (Air Canada code share) or EWR, at $728 to $730. )

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,902 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Flights from London (LHR) to Durango Colorado (DRO)

Good try USBT - but apparently he doesn't want to know. Traifinders will fix it all!

So we've all just been wasting our time.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,866 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Flights from London (LHR) to Durango Colorado (DRO)

I think you'll find that my findings above actually align with what the OP wants. The BA operated LHR-DEN on a multi carrier ticket (with Frontier) bookable through a reputable full service travel agent like Trailfinders.

I'm agreeing with the OP.

Although looking at those (cheaper) two stops on United I wouldn't rule out the AC operated codeshare via Calgary (YYC not YYZ as I mentioned earlier). It gets into DRO earlier and he'd be able to do US Preclearance at YYC which would be much easier than at any US airport.

But that's just my view. It's GunRunner's choice and money, and the BA via DEN option turns out to be a good one.

38. Re: Flights from London (LHR) to Durango Colorado (DRO)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 February 2014, 00:44
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
361 posts
1 review
Save Reply
39. Re: Flights from London (LHR) to Durango Colorado (DRO)

The option using Frontier is fine, and Frontier would almost certainly be cheaper than United on the DEN-DRO route. However, Frontier has a very limited range of interline agreements (with just 4 airlines - Alaska, Virgin America, Sun Country, Great Lakes), so it would mean separate tickets. Even Trailfinders won't be able to solve that!

flyfrontier.com/customer-service/travel-supp…

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Reply
40. Re: Flights from London (LHR) to Durango Colorado (DRO)

nozzie

Thank you for your response of post 36. It has been noted.

USBusinessTraveller

Thank you for all your time and work.and because of the negative response of post 36 by nozzie, I am sending by Private Message the details of the flights given to me by Trailfinders. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Edited: 23 February 2014, 00:47