We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

European Destinations and Why???

New Zealand
Level Contributor
326 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
European Destinations and Why???

This probably isn't the correct forum for this questions but can anyone suggest which one I post it in?

I'm looking at flying in/out of two or three European destinations (from the UK) for around three days in each place. Which destination/s would you choose and importantly, why? I like sight-seeing, HOHO bus tours etc.

Thanks for your help.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
54,569 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: European Destinations and Why???

My favourite cities outside the UK are (in no particular order) Dublin, Amsterdam, Lisbon, Paris, Lucerne, Venice, Rome, Oslo and Cologne.

I didn't car emuch for Brussels, Barcelona, Gothenburg, Florence or Milan. I haven't yet sampled Berlin, Budapest, Bordeaux,Stockholm or Madrid, though they are on my to do list!

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: European Destinations and Why???

Hi

You are spoilt for choice but I also think from London get the train to Paris, so easy. Prague is very interesting, as is Rome. but the list goes on, Venice, Amsterdam etc......

Clive

Edited: 21 February 2014, 13:01
Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,344 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: European Destinations and Why???

Madrid, Malaga, Granada, Seville?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: European Destinations and Why???

I would not chose Amsters for three days. I think of all the choices you have, there is much more to see and do in other cities. I say that as someone who lives in Brussels currently and has been there a few times. A day, maybe two and you have done Amsterdam. Nice, interestingly but certainly not a Rome, a Barcelona or a Paris.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,030 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: European Destinations and Why???

Hi,

I did not understand that you were looking for several separate trips for long weekend getaways. Depending on where exactly you are located you can just pick any city that interests you to visit . I don't see why you couldn't spend a long weekend in Paris or Barcelona and just be aware that you would not be able to see/do "everything".

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
621 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: European Destinations and Why???

+ Jersey -> Channel Islands, beautiful, friendly, mix French/English culture, historic, etc, etc

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,504 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: European Destinations and Why???

Paris, because "we'll always have Paris". Culturally very interesting. The left bank has some really nice cafes for cafe-sitting and people-watching (something Parisians do very well), and the wonderful food.

Berlin, for the history. Berlin was for a few decades, a real oddity as a city. Its post-war history has shaped the place, it's culture and its people. Great restaurants, great clubs, and a learning experience.

Sweden
Level Contributor
187 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: European Destinations and Why???

I second Berlin. It has got everything, history and culture with museums, art galleries, food, nightlife

Depending on what time of the year you´re travelling I would suggest Stockholm for spring, summer or early autumn. Stockholm is a small, beautiful, capital built on islands, with several quite interesting museums.

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: European Destinations and Why???

Vienna - hands down, without a doubt!! Why - it's my second home. I was there in college and LOVED it and have been back every year since.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: European Destinations and Why???

Venice, Budapest, Barcelona, all cheap flights from the UK and beautiful cities each with something different to offer, Venice - cultural/historical overkill, a museum on water, Budapest - a city of bridges over the beautiful river Danube, gorgeous fairytale architecture, Barcelona - a city of dynamic architecture and vibrant spaces, buzzing and bustling.

Stockholm, as someone has already said, is also worth considering, again cheap flights, the Venice of Scandinavia.