We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Barbados Check In Chill Out Problems

Glasgow
Level Contributor
4 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin Barbados Check In Chill Out Problems

This is only half of the story - I have tried to keep this short.

HOMEWARD FLIGHT

Having enjoyed the outward flight (747-400 top deck PE) so much we were not anticipating any issues with the return flight. Far from it, for once we were looking forward to it and the extra comfort and attention we expected. Sadly this was not to be..

Once again we looked at the internet system to reserve decent seats. All we wanted was two together, not a big ask. We have suffered too many times with the "aisle syndrome" where someone you don't know and have absolutely no wish to know ends up sleeping beside you.

We therefore tried again and again to access the VA booking system for decent seats - only to be told, once "in" that our seats had been pre-allocated!!!!!.

Ok, let's review that for a second.

The seats had been PRE-ALLOCATED and we had been BOOKED IN.

Do we all understand what that simple statement actually means?

Think about it. We could have died, changed identities, been the "T" word or anything but hey, we already had our seats booked on the plane out!! Now I know that Barbados is hardly the destination of choice for "T" types but come on, what is going on here???

It's all very well and good to pre-allocate for the economy seats because you just don't get a choice anyway do you? Want a window seat sir? yes? well that will be (a) xx pounds or (b) sorry they're all taken. Been there, got the miles.

And so we - or rather I - had to suffer an elderly and rather large gentleman beside me for the duration of the flight home. And my dear wife got an aisle seat with all that entails. Lovely way to end a holiday. I appreciate often there's little choice but we simply didn't get one, which is why I am so annoyed.

And the flight was late. Very late.

We left after sitting on the tarmac at Barbados for over an hour, in the tropical heat, due to the APU not working. This also meant that the plane stayed hot for a good hour after takeoff.

Additionally the flight was particularly bumpy for miles, more than usual and more obvious probably as the Airbus is a much smaller plane than the 747.

While I remember, there was one cheeky chap who clearly knew the male steward in PE very well. He kept batting back and forth from economy to "our" galley and could be found hanging around gaily chatting to the aforementioned male member on numerous occasions. Quite often he would return to economy carrying quantities of miniatures or bottles of wine. (And possibly the odd champagne.) It was very annoying.

Then there was the food service. A complete disaster. Dinner wasn't anything to write home about and breakfast was horrific. It looked suspiciously like lunch or dinner warmed over but was supposed to be bacon and eggs? Wouldn't have served it to a dog.

Our landing was two hours late and we missed our connection to Glasgow. That'll be £60.00 each to change. Thanks VA.

So, anyone have any ideas why this deeply flawed system exists?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,662 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Barbados Check In Chill Out Problems

This is a very long way of saying that you tried to choose your seats too late and you couldn't get what you wanted, the weather was bad, and you didn't like the food, right? I have no idea what you think allocated seats have to do with terrorists, but then again I don't really understand what you're complaining about, either.

Edited: 24 February 2014, 16:25
London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Barbados Check In Chill Out Problems

How dare he come into your galley and request bottles of wine! I suggest that you escalate this as fare as possible up the chain.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,662 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Barbados Check In Chill Out Problems

Heh.

London, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Barbados Check In Chill Out Problems

I'd be disturbed if someone was chatting to a male member on my flight!

uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Barbados Check In Chill Out Problems

" t types " really ... Who on earth says that apart from you?

So your complaint is you couldn't choose a seat on your return flight and it was bumpy, and you were sat next to a stranger ?

It would have been a lot easier to read without all the dramatics, is there an actual question or do you just want to complain or something else?

Deb

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,932 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Barbados Check In Chill Out Problems

It obviously wasn't a connection to Glasgow, or you would have been put on the next available flight with seats, free cf charge. 2 hours isn't very late, so you really didn't leave enough time.

Seating requests are still free of charge. Charging for them hasn't started yet.

Turbulence affects all aircraft.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,472 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin Barbados Check In Chill Out Problems

"And so we - or rather I - had to suffer an elderly and rather large gentleman beside me for the duration of the flight home."

Based on your post, I wonder who really did the suffering.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,518 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin Barbados Check In Chill Out Problems

2 separate tickets? no sympathy

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
530 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin Barbados Check In Chill Out Problems

"All we wanted was two together". You did get that, didn't you?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
4 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Virgin Barbados Check In Chill Out Problems

Love forums. Great answers. Brilliant observations and all very thoughtful..

Let me rephrase the question.

What is the deal with check in chill out. Why does it mean your seats are preselected and you have no choice In the matter.

Responses from people who have actually experienced the service are invited.