We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair Manchester-Nice mystery flight

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,511 posts
Save Topic
Ryanair Manchester-Nice mystery flight

Ryanair seems to have just one flight from Manchester to Nice, on March 15 only and on no other dates at all. It takes one hour longer than a Manchester-Nice flight ought to take, but is offered at an attractive price of £21.99.

I've been asked by someone interested in this flight if it's safe to book it, as they're worried about the flight time and the fact that it's the only flight all year, so they're wondering if it's a mistake or might be cancelled.

What should I say?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,441 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryanair Manchester-Nice mystery flight

That is a bit wierd and I would not trust it without giving them a call. Apparently they are more user friendly these days and you can even e-mail them using this contact form.

http://frd.ie/help/

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryanair Manchester-Nice mystery flight

Ryanair doesn't fly on the 15th

but does on friday 14th

Easyjet fly from Liverpool to Nice

on the 14th and 16th

Edited: 25 February 2014, 01:31
Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,771 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryanair Manchester-Nice mystery flight

Ryanair sometimes operate one-off flights between pairs of airports they don't usually fly between, for special events. This is mainly in the winter when they have spare planes and crews. These appear in the schedule (how else could anyone book them). Is anything special happening in Nice around that date?

If not, it's probably a mistake.

It isn't unusual for Ryanair to timetable flights to take longer than their competitors, though an hour seems excessive. They do this so they can keep their extremely good timekeeping record, the actual flying time will be exactly the same as everyone else flying similar aircraft, and the extra is to absorb small delays.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
361 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryanair Manchester-Nice mystery flight

That is very peculiar indeed!

When you look at flights in the opposite direction, there is no Nice-MAN flight scheduled for 14th March, However, there is a flight on 10th March (but no MAN-Nice!)

If it is a one-off event, it has got me flummoxed as to why there would be a Nice - MAN - Nice round trip for 10/14 March. If there was something important going on, you would expect the flights to be a bit more expensive considering it's just 2 weeks away. Only other thing I can think off is that it is pre-planned aircraft repositioning. Unusual for airlines to sell seats for this sort of thing.

Either way, I'd book it. If the flight gets cancelled, you are potentially due a windfall under the EU Reg. I would absolutely have an emergency Plan B prepared in the event things went pear shaped.

The MAN-Nice flight itself is scheduled to be 2hrs 20mins. This is not radically different from BA's LHR-Nice which can be 2hrs 10mins, so nothing untoward about Ryanair's scheduling or flight time padding. At first glance, the flight time appears excessive as you are jumping ahead 1 time zone when you travel to France.

Edited: 25 February 2014, 19:11
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,511 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryanair Manchester-Nice mystery flight

Thanks for your replies. Yes, the flight time is just a time-zone difference, and it's on the 14th.

But the mystery remains. I like the repositioning suggestion, and the potential for a windfall if cancelled (though the windfall could be lessened by losing out on a return flight on EasyJet to Liverpool). I shall pass these suggestions on.

Edited: 26 February 2014, 01:17
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,441 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryanair Manchester-Nice mystery flight

According to their website Nice is a new route

Nice

Dublin 30 Mar 14

Manchester 10 Mar 14

Shannon 04 Apr 14

Still very strange that there are no more flights and if you check flights to/from Dublin and Shannon they are loaded ok. Manchester is not much of a new route if there is only one flight per year LOL.

MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ryanair Manchester-Nice mystery flight

windfall if cancelled?

8. Re: Ryanair Manchester-Nice mystery flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2015, 06:24