We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United airlines in the Us....opinions please.

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
United airlines in the Us....opinions please.

I would like to book SFO to JFK return & looking at United airlines. How bad are they or how good. & should I be worried I will miss my connecting flight in SFO to australia if I allow myself 4 hours.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,274 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United airlines in the Us....opinions please.

On separate tickets you do not have a connecting flight.You have 2 separate flights.

I never allow less than 12 hours for this,and once even that was not enough.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,953 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United airlines in the Us....opinions please.

I'd be a bit reluctant too with booking a seperate ticket too with only four hours. If all flights are on time then you should be ok but one thing to consider is what happens if one of your flights is rescheduled giving you an impossible connection then you'd be stuck and have to buy a last minute walk up fair.

Although to answer your question regarding United I've flown them several times, both international and domestic US legs and never had an issue with service.

Edited: 27 February 2014, 09:43
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,805 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United airlines in the Us....opinions please.

"should I be worried I will miss my connecting flight in SFO to australia if I allow myself 4 hours." - Yes unless you are prepared to take the risk of having to pay an expensive walk up one way fare back to Australia because you missed the planned flight because of schedule changes, delays or cancellations.

You should fly to SF the day before your flight to Australia - the only exception I would consider is if your flight to Australia is with Qantas (or another OneWorld Airline) then you could consider flying AA to/from JFK as they will treat your separately ticketed flights as a through ticketed giving you the same protection as a single ticket.

aa.com/i18n/…oneworld_tkt_policy.jsp

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United airlines in the Us....opinions please.

my ticket is with air new zealand & they co share with United. I rang air new zealand & they told me to allow at least 4 hours. Even I do miss the flight there will be costs to get me on the next flight but it should be covered by travel insurance..I hope!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United airlines in the Us....opinions please.

>> Even I do miss the flight there will be costs to get me on the next flight but it should be covered by travel insurance..I hope!<<

Really? Are you sure about that? ,,I would speak to your insurer before you rely on that. I suspect many policies won't cover this as you are taking the risk in full knowledge. You can easily buy one ticket.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United airlines in the Us....opinions please.

One other point insurance is based on indemnity so if you miss your SFO flight it will not suddenly cough up money on the spot to pay for a walk up fare

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,663 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: United airlines in the Us....opinions please.

"... but it should be covered by travel insurance..I hope!"

You hope? Don't you think you should check and be doubly sure?

My travel insurance policy would cover me for separate tickets with a minimum six hours between flights.

I wouldn't risk it. Book a much earlier flight (have at least two other ways of getting to SFO** if your flight is canceled) or fly the day before.

** - Clue. United's major hub is at Newark. They have many more flight options from there than JFK.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: United airlines in the Us....opinions please.

Why don't you book it all from Air NZ website on a single ticket.

Make it a multi-stop booking MEL-JFK and then select SFO as a 'stopover', enter your dates (I just chucked in dates in May-June) and then pick your flights. You should be able to see the flights you are talking about. I can see the standard MEL-ALK-SFO flight (NZ124 and NZ008) and then multiple for SFO-EWR or SFO-JFK. The 1629 SFO-JFK flight is there. I've taken that combination and it all went smoothly.

I imagine the website should not let you book an illegal connection, but if you wanted to be really sure you could pick the 2219 departure.

In terms of opinions on UA, I have used them for all my US domestic travel and found them fine. Not exciting, but I was only flying economy so I didn't have high expectations. They have always got me where I needed to be (eventually - weather delays notwithstanding). They won't feed you however, so make sure you pick something up for the flight as it's the best part of 6 hours.

Happy planning.

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: United airlines in the Us....opinions please.

ok everyone...yes i will check before I buy the insurance. No tickets have yet been bought. I am just trying to work out how I can do NYC. I have Melbourne to SFO. but am looking to do NYC. I can leave a day earlier. Just considering options.

thankyou about the newark hub.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: United airlines in the Us....opinions please.

Only flown United once - London - LA - Denver then retuning to Londond via a connection in Chicaho. The flight out of Denver was delayed and we were assure the London plane would "wait" for us in Chicago/ Oh, how naive ... running through that vast airport to a closed and deserted gate, but it got us all off the plane, which was what the crew wanted.

The next United flight was same time, next day - after a lot of begging they put us on American 12 h later, though our luggage followed in United, after 24h - United got it to American just as our flight took off!

Still, better than our experience once upon a time on Continental!