We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick airport

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Topic
Gatwick airport

I'm flying from Gatwick to Amsterdam, Wednesday at 4:30pm on Easyjet. How soon should I arrive to make sure I make the flight? I have only a small backpack, no other luggage. Would 1 hour be enough? I am getting dropped off by car. I would have checked in online and have a boarding pass already.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,961 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Gatwick airport

When we go to Gatwick we always have the first flight out (around 6.00am), we always aim to get to the airport at least 2½hrs before our flight so we get to Gatwick for around 3.30am. Even though we are driving in the middle of the night, and even though on a good trip we allow at least 1½hrs travel time.

We actually only live 50-60mins away, but we've been stuck in traffic before when there's been an accident or roadworks, so I certainly wouldn't leave it to chance and only get there with an hour to spare!

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Gatwick airport

Actually what I may do is be dropped off at a train station which feeds into Gatwick, but is well away from the M23, such as Horsham. It would then take about 20 minutes to get to Gatwick, plus getting through security. I think the advice about avoiding traffic is quite sound. I have heard horror stories about motorway hold ups and requirement for emergency food rations. I will take a later flight, I think. Thanks to all respondents.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,512 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Gatwick airport

"Actually what I may do is be dropped off at a train station which feeds into Gatwick, but is well away from the M23, such as Horsham."

If you're going into London, that makes no sense whatsoever. It takes longer to get to Horsham than Gatwick (think 2 hours from central London) then a 20 minute train ride.

Central London to Gatwick is 30-40 minutes by DIRECT train.

Are you paying any attention to the advice given by people who (a) travel that route frequently and/or (b) who live along that route?

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Gatwick airport

Sorry, I should have been more succinct. I'm not going to London, per se. I was talking in general terms. Friends are picking me up and we are going around Sussex. It might save time to be picked up and dropped at a nearby train station than to worry about traffic near the airport. If I was going to London I would catch the Gatwick Express.

Edited: 04 March 2014, 08:27
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,147 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Gatwick airport

Hi

Easyjet do occasionally leave early, they have been known to close the gate exactly half an hour before the flight is due to leave and if everyone is on board then set off. I know it happened in Marseille last August. People still wandering round the airport were left behind. So you need to factor in being ready to board at least half an hour before departure time.

Jackie

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,512 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Gatwick airport

" I'm not going to London, per se. I was talking in general terms. Friends are picking me up and we are going around Sussex."

Well that makes a huge difference. Sussex is NOT London. And, as such you're far less likely to be caught in traffic en route from wherever in Sussex back to the airport. I would still *plan* to be there two hours before departure just in case (in other words, don't overdo your visit) but if your friends are local and know the area you should be fine.

"If I was going to London I would catch the Gatwick Express."

(Coughs and clears throat). When you do plan to visit London, do ask about transport on the London forum. There are better and far cheaper (and faster) train services than that ridiculously expensive GEX.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,147 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Gatwick airport

Semi-permanent roadworks on A23, and lots of other possible problems in the area.

Can be a nightmare drive.

Jackie

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Gatwick airport

Sorry for the lack of clarity. I'm from the colonies. Yes, I know Sussex is not London, but Gatwick comes up when listing London Airports. I will make travel plans taking into consideration all the advice, possibly including avoiding the Gatwick Express, either this trip or future trips. Rather mean of Easyjet to leave early, I assume they had all the expected passengers onboard. It must play havoc at the destination airport if they haven't phoned ahead to tell them they will be landing early...... :-)

London
Level Contributor
11,384 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Gatwick airport

"Rather mean of Easyjet to leave early, I assume they had all the expected passengers onboard. "

I don't want to be rude, but are you listening to what we're telling you?. Easyjet boarding card will tell you that the gate may close 30 minutes before departure. No, they don't wait if some passengers haven't turned up at the gate by that time, they will go without you. I'm certainly not suggesting it happens on every flight, but it does happen in some instances. If you arrive at the gate 25 minutes before, and they've already completed loading, then you're not getting on.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Gatwick airport

Are you sure you are flying to Amsterdam on the 430pm? It's not Botswana at 315 from Luton airport?