We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of American Airlines Unused Ticket Policies

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of American Airlines Unused Ticket Policies

I feel cheated by American Airlines - actually a stronger word comes to mind. I bought roundtrip tickets for my wife and I last October to fly from Houston to Liberia, Costa Rica with the understanding that:

"Tickets are nonrefundable and nontransferable. A fee of $200.00 per ticket is charged for itinerary changes. Name changes are not allowed."

We decided to stay longer in Costa Rica so I called AA in December and was told we could use the unused portion of our tickets, less the $200 change fee on "any future AA flights as long as travel is completed within one year of the issue date"

So today I tried to make roundtrip reservations from San Jose, Costa Rica to Houston, and was told that we could only use the unused portion of our previous tickets on a one-way ticket - not a roundtrip. After deducting the $200 change fee and repricing as two one-way tickets, the total fare is actually $300 per person higher!

At no point in the information I was provided when I bought the ticket or the phone call in December was this restriction mentioned. Perhaps it is a new rule.

The final result? I booked a cheaper roundtrip ticket on United, and American Airlines gained an "enemy for life".

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of American Airlines Unused Ticket Policies

That sounds odd. Usually, after you pay the change fee, you can use your credit for any flight, as long as it's on that airline's metal.

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,211 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of American Airlines Unused Ticket Policies

Dang. Just in the past 24 hours I have to quit flying American, Delta, Allegiant, United and Condor. (And I probably missed a few)

And since this was a partial credit on an unused return of a round trip I expect there are robe rules his first agent failed to notice.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of American Airlines Unused Ticket Policies

Don't forget Air Transat - No gourmet meals!

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of American Airlines Unused Ticket Policies

That's what I thought too! But the agent I spoke with when I called their 800 number was very adamant and would not offer any reasonable alternatives.

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
919 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of American Airlines Unused Ticket Policies

If the ticket was partially used, which appears to be the case since you travelled to Costa Rica, then the rules regarding the use of the remaining value are very limited. In many cases, a partially used ticket may only be used for a one way ticket on the same routing. Without knowing the exact fare you purchased, the information you received from AA may very well be correct.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,570 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of American Airlines Unused Ticket Policies

But the issue is that that information SHOULD have been given to him at the time that he cancelled the ticket, not when he tries to use the credit.

Of course, we have no way of knowing if it was and he didn't realize, or didn't hear, or forgot, etc. But in my experience, when you have to make a change by phone, they're frequently not explicit about all the fine print.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,968 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of American Airlines Unused Ticket Policies

Hi

all the terms of use is on the E- ticket check airline web page for specifics

it is on you to understand not the airline to tell you.

I found out the hard way too but is is my fault I assumed instead of reading and makeing sure

I had flown Korean Airlines before and had stayed longer than planned and it was no charge and a year to use the remainder portion of my flight. so this year pay the same price get the same exact flight

I ASSUMED I had a year to use the return flight but no this ticket was for only 90 days so all I could get was a credit on the same airline of the remaing flight balance. who's fault MINE.

nobody or very few books a flight planning on staying longer than original flight "I actual did" so then it is on you to know all the facts

8. Re: Beware of American Airlines Unused Ticket Policies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2015, 06:19