We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

edreams...am i ok?

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
edreams...am i ok?

So I booked a flight from London to the US via edreams (because I am retarded and didn't do my research). Almost right after, I read all the reviews, panicked and called my bank to cancel, but couldn't since it was direct debit.

However - only a few minutes after booking I got a mail listing my itinirary and stating that my booking was confirmed. I've checked on the Air France website with the booking reference they sent, and it also lists my booking as "confirmed" with the correct dates. The only odd thing is that my itinirary lists this as a round trip (with return flight about a month after my departure) even though I definitely chose, and paid for a one way trip :|

so...does this mean I'm in the clear?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: edreams...am i ok?

Probably, but keep checking right until you leave.

Edreams often book a return trip instead of a single because it is cheaper. Best not mention to the airline you are travelling one way on a return ticket.

Jackie

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,635 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: edreams...am i ok?

What eDreams has done is booked a return ticket masquerading as a one way. It's a scam, but against the airlines because intentionally not using the return is a violation of the airline T+Cs (one ways are usually more expensive than round trips). Air France could come after you to make good on the ticket, but in practice that's highly unlikely. So, you'll probably be okay.

But. eDreams should never have sold you that as a one way, and have done so under false pretenses. So a classic example of their deceptive practices, many of which do end up ruining the customer's trip.

Edited: 01 March 2014, 02:26
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: edreams...am i ok?

Bernard, talking of being retarded, just be thankful that you weren't allowed to cancel because had you done so, eDreams could legitimately have got their money back and not provided you a ticket, since you has absolutely no grounds whatsoever to cancel. And according to other posters here, they have done this.

BTW, I take it you now realise that by using a debit card instead of a credit card, you gave an organisation (that you'd never heard of before) direct access to your bank account, so that if something had gone wrong, you would now be in the position of trying to get your money back, unlike with a credit card where the actual money has not yet been removed from your bank immediacy.

I think that covers your mistakes so far :-)

Edited: 01 March 2014, 07:35
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: edreams...am i ok?

Hello, I am in exactly the same position (also retarded and rushed the booking) and wondering if I am ok too.

edreams booked me on a round trip even though I only booked one way.

I have received the e tickets and they appear to come up when I check the Amadeus system and the airline's own system as well.

I need to book and pay for my baggage now (another part of the edreams scam ) but I am comfortable doing that with the airline direct through their online system and will have to cop the fee.

Bernard - when is your flight? Can you let us know if an issue arises?

I paid through paypal and have only 45 days to open a dispute so I am considering my options.

thanks

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: edreams...am i ok?

I paid through paypal and have only 45 days to open a dispute so I am considering my options.

=======

You don't have any grounds to raise a dispute (and I have a feeling that you cannot dispute airline tickets on Paypal anyway ???).

I am presuming you booked A-B and have got a ticket for A-B-A. In which case you should be fine. If you are using your frequent flyer account you might be wary since the airline might not appreciate you gaming the system like this. In THEORY the airline could come after you for the extra cost compared to a single ticket but its exceedingly unlikely they would do this unless you did it frequently.

Most definitely book and pay for luggage on the airlines web site and have nothing more to do with eDreams. You may actually have lucked out here, got a lesson in using eDreams but at no cost to you, which is unlike so many.

Edited: 10 March 2014, 09:15
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,931 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: edreams...am i ok?

Indeed Joe is correct; airline tickets not covered by Paypal protection.

https:/…buy-protection

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
361 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: edreams...am i ok?

Very odd.

If Edreams book enough itineraries like this, they will receive an ADM (Agency Debit Memo) from the airline which essentially recoups the difference between the fare paid and journey travelled. This is an automatic process which the agent would need to dispute with the airline. The airline would not need a separate authorisation for this unlike if it was to debit a passenger's credit card. If there are enough instances of this happening (which, given the enormity of the Edreams corporate portfolio, would likely be very substantial), the agency will have little grounds to dispute the ADM.

The bright spot is that the passenger is pretty much in the clear. The worst that could happen is that a passenger's frequent flyer account could be audited. Not much of a problem for most twice a year travellers. When not booked directly with the airline, the agency gets charged and it is then down to the agency to take that up with the passenger if he has been a naughty boy.

Really surprised that Edreams would take such a big risk with such an unsophisticated strategy. This method is so 1980s.

Edited: 10 March 2014, 14:20
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: edreams...am i ok?

Of course they are not, pinkardvark. Lol. The airlines would have to be monitoring the ticket sales and who did not use the return leg and then prove that the pax did not just miss the flight, and that edreams specially booked it as a return against the wishes of the pax.case by case. Because some will have missed by accident, some will have requested the return even though they did not intent to use it, and some, yes edreams would have done on purpose. They would have to prove it for each and every single one individually and charge the difference for each and everyone, as all price calculations would be based on time of purchase.

The cost of that, to any airline, inc the court time, would be so huge, simply on a case by case investigation basis, that's it's simply not ever going to happen,

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
361 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: edreams...am i ok?

Froggy, believe me, it's incredibly easy to pull up a batch of etickets with unused inbound coupons and check the IATA office IDs of the issuing agent. I could make the relevant entries in the system, disappear to the vending machine to buy a bag of Quavers and when I come back all the info is there in black & white.

If the airline's Revenue Protection team notice something disproportionate between the tickets issued by Agency X with unused coupons, they will take action and answer questions later. If the agency claimed that passengers were just playing the system, you can be sure that they will liaise with their in-house partners (ie, LH/LX/SN/OS, BA/IB, AF/KL, EY/AB/JU etc), then their alliance partners and then their rivals.

Before etickets were normal for multi-carrier itineraries, hidden city ticketing was carried out on quite a grand scale. If a passenger booked HKG-AF-CDG, it would probably be cheaper to start the journey in TPE. So many clever agents would book TPE-CX-HKG-AF-CDG and passenger would have no idea that the TPE-HKG flight existed. When the passenger noshows the TPE-HKG sector, the noshow remark is privileged to the operating airline only (CX) and would not auto-cancel the AF flight. Without an eticket display, AF would no clue that passenger was holding unused ticket coupons.

When the airline notices a large number of tickets issued by an agent in HKG, but for travel commencing in TPE, that airline will run an integrity check of the coupons with the other airline (whether it be Cathay Paific, China Airlines, EVA etc), it noticed discrepancies, and that agent gets hit with a great big ADM. You just hope that the agent made enough money from ticket sales before they were uncovered....and inevitably disappeared and started trading again under a different guise.

Same principle would apply if a certain office ID is issuing tickets for a roundtrip but used only oneway.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: edreams...am i ok?

Froggy, believe me, it's incredibly easy to pull up a batch of etickets with unused inbound coupons and check the IATA office IDs of the issuing agent.

========

I don't believe eDreams do this though (book as an agent). AFAIK they just go onto the internet and use the customers email and credit card to book the flight, same as if the customer had done it themselves. So the only thing tying eDreams to the booking would be the internet address they are using.