We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

forbidden items

Junction, Texas
Level Contributor
327 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
forbidden items

Sorry, but I cannot remember how to look up the lists of items not allowed to be imported or taken into other countries, Australia and New Zealand in particular, -- like fresh fruit. Would you please give me the cites to the sites? So far I have not been able to tell Google the magic words to find what I want. Thank you.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: forbidden items

Try, "Can I bring fresh fruit into Australia"? That will work.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: forbidden items

Just look for customs requirements for the given country.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: forbidden items

I googled "Tourists bringing fruit into Australia" Simplistic, I know, but it worked. (Love Google!)

For Australia: daff.gov.au/__data/…arriving-declareit.pdf

For New Zealand: …govt.nz/features/…default.aspx

From these & some other sites found on the search, it looks like fresh fruit might be prohibited. Absolutely, any food you bring with you must be declared - and may be pitched out on the spot. There are understandable concerns about introducing pests & plant diseases through importation of fresh fruit or vegetables.

In the US, I remember that we had to pitch out some oranges in our cooler at the border crossing when driving into Arizona from New Mexico! Alternatively, I guess we could have parked the car at the side & eaten the fruit!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,328 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: forbidden items

www.customs.gov.au/site/page4351.asp#items

…govt.nz/inprivate/…default.aspx

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,698 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: forbidden items

Make sure that if you do have any food (and that means any food - even sweets and chocolates etc) that you declare it on the form they give you before you disembark! If you don't declare something and its in your bags and they check you then you will be fined or at the very least have a severe warning! Australia and New Zealand are very careful about exactly what is taken into their countries. Even pre-cooked foods in sealed packets may not be allowed so its always important to check the links that KVE and Redhead have given you. Ignorance of the rules is no excuse because the document you are given and signed is a legal document.

Watching the Australian and New Zealand TV programmes Nothing to Declare certainly show that it pays to declare everything - if in doubt, declare it!

Junction, Texas
Level Contributor
327 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: forbidden items

Thank you. Knew it was important to check, just couldn't remember how. There have been -- and are -- quite a few things we can't take or bring across our border with Mexico. And all kinds of invasive plant & animal species that never should have been brought from their native countries.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: forbidden items

The last time I came through I had yarn made from lotus from Burma. I t seemed to to come under plant product (other) so I declared it. Customs are friendly if you declare - if you don't declare - even inadvertently you will be fined - I think its about NZ$400 now for the forgotten banana or apple. The form is quite explicit and given the flight times you always have hours to fill it in (its handed out on the flight - bring a pen).

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,347 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: forbidden items

Have you tried the TSA.gov website. Or, each airline website will sometimes have their own restrictions or links for restrictions.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: forbidden items

Why would the US Gov TSA Website have anything useful to say about Australia or NZ customs?

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,347 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: forbidden items

As the person appears to be traveling from the USA.