We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

forbidden items

Junction, Texas
Level Contributor
327 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
forbidden items

Sorry, but I cannot remember how to look up the lists of items not allowed to be imported or taken into other countries, Australia and New Zealand in particular, -- like fresh fruit. Would you please give me the cites to the sites? So far I have not been able to tell Google the magic words to find what I want. Thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
239 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: forbidden items

Actually you don't have to declare ALL food going into Australia and NZ - you only have to declare the food that fits into the categories on the entry card. For example, you don't need to declare a packet of biscuits or a block of chocolate. I travel regularly between the two countries so am well used to the cards.

It's a given that you can't bring fruit in - we take bio security very seriously. And why would you need to? We have fantastic fruit in both countries.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,138 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: forbidden items

>>>you only have to declare the food that fits into the categories on the entry card<<<

Whilst that is 'technically' correct, it's also the sort of statement that starts the endless "what about this, what about that?" questions. And I can tell you now, I don't know of a single person who has the same interpretation as another.

The *safest* advice is to declare ALL food items and let them sort it out. It's the one guaranteed way of never incurring fines or penalties.

Edited: 02 March 2014, 09:52
13. Re: forbidden items

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2015, 05:19