We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connection Time in CLT

London, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Connection Time in CLT

I am now looking at a US Airways flight from DTW through CLT to MSY. Layover in CLT is one hour, from 7:25 to 8:25 on a Saturday morning. Both legs of the flight are with the same carrier. I'm still pretty inexperienced with air travel and hope someone doesn't mind answering a few questions for me:

Do we need to claim and recheck bags, or is that done by the airline?

Do we need to go through security again in CLT or can we just make our way to the next gate?

These flights are on December 27 and Jan. 4. How son will we be able to find out which gates are used for each leg?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Connection Time in CLT

You will check your bags in DTW and pick them up in MSY. US Airways will handle the transfer in CLT.

No you will not need to go through security again in CLT. Once you get off the plane there will be large screens displaying flight information. Take a look for your flight to MSY on it and it will show the gate number. Just walk over to the gate indicated on the screen and you will be good to go for your next flight.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connection Time in CLT

If your flights are all on one ticket (not just same airline) and CLT is just your connection airport, you don't need to pick up your luggage or re-check it. You also do not have to go through security again.

You probably won't know which gates will be used until you get to the airport to begin your flights. And your CLT gate might not show on the boarding pass. But there are large electronic boards listing flights & the gates they will leave from at both departure airports. Even if I know which gate the flight is supposed to leave from, I always double-check to make sure it hasn't changed since I was last informed! They can definitely change - sometimes gates are changed even after you get to the gate - but they do announce that!

We have had many connections through CLT. It seems like we always arrive on Concourse A & leave from Concourse E - which is at the other end of the airport (reverse on the trip home). There are moving walkways along part of the way, which speeds things up. Also many places to stop & grab food if you have time.

*Edit -- deeb15 beat me to it - must have been posting when I was still typing!

Edited: 03 March 2014, 01:40
3. Re: Connection Time in CLT

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2015, 06:16