We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA changed our seats- any recourse?

seattle
Level Contributor
86 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
BA changed our seats- any recourse?

We booked and paid for seat selection on a 9hr flight from Seattle to London. Our seats were two seats then the aisle. We were notified today that they moved us to the middle row with four seats. We called the reservation line to complain and really didn't get anywhere. But we told that the exit row currently has no one sitting in it. Apparently all the other seats are "unavailable". We filed a complaint on there customer service website.

Does anybody have helpful ideas on how to fix this? Or better yet has anyone ever won this battle?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,444 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA changed our seats- any recourse?

Have you checked the terms and conditions of your contract with BA ?

You ask - any recourse ? No.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,132 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA changed our seats- any recourse?

'Does anybody have helpful ideas on how to fix this?' Yep.

A few things come to mind. First, I'd go to MMB (manage my booking) and see if I could change the seats back to those I had selected and paid for. I would have a look at the Flight Availabilty page at www.flightstats.com to see how heavily sold the flight was in the cabin / class of service I'd booked. If it was heavily sold in the cabin I'd purchased I would wonder if an operational upgrade might be in the cards (no guarantees, though) or if more seats would open at OLCI.

I would watch MMB like a hawk, especially from about two weeks before the travel date to see if inexpensive proactive upgrades would be offered, as it might be worthwhile to buy those and move forward a cabin.

Before filing a complaint, I would also have reviewed this: britishairways.com/en-ca/information/seating… and if there had been an aircraft change I would ask for a refund because the new seats assigned were ones I did not deem suitable.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA changed our seats- any recourse?

>>d purchased I would wonder if an operational upgrade might be in the cards (no guarantees, though) <<

Tp, unless he has status with the airline, he's absolutely not getting an upgrade. He has been reseated.

To the op, I think with BA you get a refund if you don't get your seats. If you want exit you may have to pay for them, your call, go into manage my booking and see what you can do. Also the moment on line check in opens , check in, sometimes seats open up at this stage.

Good luck.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA changed our seats- any recourse?

They will refund the difference.

However, as others have said, it is highly likely that more seats will open up at OLCI.

If you check in as soon as it opens, you should be able to get yourself some seats that are not in the middle of the block of 4.

britishairways.com/en-gb/information/seating…

Gujarat, India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,962 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA changed our seats- any recourse?

Same thing happened to me with an aircraft change after paying £160 (£80 each) for 2 business class seat reservations. I heard nothing regarding a refund on the seat (difference was £40), but rang them to find out what the situation was.

The same seats were available on the other aircraft but at a cheaper cost to book (£60 each), they then cancelled altogether the seat request on the original booking without telling me. After a total of over 2 hours on the phone and 3 calls I paid out again for the new seats, so total £280 up to then, then had to wait for the original refund of £160.

I really don't know why the onus is on the customer to chase BA for refunds they will not automatically do so, and have to re/book and pay for the same seats if available. They will not partially refund I was told its all or nothing for the full amount. What a farcical, time consuming carry on, to get reserved paid for seating. lt does not help your talking to call center staff who are reading from a script with language issues.

So get on the phone ask for your refund and rebook seats suitable for you or ask them to do it for you if you cannot do it on line.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,907 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA changed our seats- any recourse?

I think TP's advice is sound. I assume that if you've paid £25 each you can get to choose from any available seats on the seat map.

First priority is to get as good seats as you can. Deal with the refunds later.

So first thing is to watch that seat map very frequently and if something good comes up grab it.

Even if you aren't on the OpUp list, others may be and that could free up good seats, perhaps even better than your original selection. I watch the seats on my United flights very frequently, especially from 72 hours out (when the actual airplane is assigned to the flight and sometimes a different seat config occurs) and have on many occasions nabbed better seats than I originally selected.

If that doesn't work then at the airport ask (politely) if you could get better seats (of course - again politely - explain that you were bumped from your original selection despite having paid). Seat allocation comes under airport control and so either the bag drop agents or (more likely) gate agents may be able to help, stressing again that being polite will make them want to help.

Then, after your flight, depending on what happens, if you are satisfied with your seats or not, you may choose to request a refund of your £25 fees.

Good luck.

Gujarat, India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,962 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA changed our seats- any recourse?

Just a note, this was just a couple of weeks ago so recent experience.

seattle
Level Contributor
86 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA changed our seats- any recourse?

The flight status website didn't help. I couldn't even see the flight. So I created a fake reservation and per the website there are only two available seats in that entire cabin. However the lady on the phone clearly stated the exit rows are currently not booked.

No word from customer service and I'll keep watching manage your booking, but in reality likely nothing I can do until 14 days prior to the flight.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,862 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA changed our seats- any recourse?

Which plane are you on, the 747 or 777? And which class? 2-4-2 sounds like WT+, or Club World, or possibly the duo seats way at the back of a 747.

We had our seats changed for an upcoming flight in Club World because they changed aircraft. I booked seats on the upper deck of the 747 but they changed the plane to a 777, which doesn't have an UD. I still haven't figured out what I am going to do about it. I did choose nice enough seats, but we paid extra for the upper deck seats.

seattle
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: BA changed our seats- any recourse?

BA is switching their SEA/LHR airplanes to a 777 rather than the 747 so probably that is why your seats were changed. Agree with all the good advice about watching MMB

And Froggy England sometimes one can get upgraded even without status. Probably extremely rare but BA upgraded me from WT+ to Club World last year,

Edited: 05 March 2014, 03:57