We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

united airlines baggage allowance

Perth, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
united airlines baggage allowance

We are flying international from Edinburgh to Los Angeles with united and believe we have a 23kg checked baggage allowance each. After 3 nights in LA, we have a short UA flight to Las Vegas. Do we still have the same free checked baggage allowance, or do we have to pay an extra cost?

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,640 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: united airlines baggage allowance

Are they all on the same itinerary (in other words, do they all have the same confirmation number?)

if the answer is "no" to this, then you definitely will have to follow whatever baggage requirements and fees are for that flight.

If this is all on the same itinerary, then I'm not sure, but I would suspect that since you have to recheck your bags, you would have to pay.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,363 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: united airlines baggage allowance

A domestic flight that immediately follows an international flight has the same baggage allowance but a domestic flight that is separate from the international flight incurs the normal UA fees - that has been my experience.

3. Re: united airlines baggage allowance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 March 2014, 05:40
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,709 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: united airlines baggage allowance

"A domestic flight that immediately follows an international flight has the same baggage allowance but a domestic flight that is separate from the international flight incurs the normal UA fees"

Ahh... but the law changed a year or so ago. The allowable baggage is based on the rules of the marketing carrier, usually the first carrier you take, and that is maintained throughout the duration of the itinerary. So, if for example, you buy a ticket via an airline that allows a free bag, as United does, then they must maintain that free bag for the entire itinerary. If the LAX-LAS flight is on a different ticket, then there will be a bag charge.

So it isn't about a "separate flight". It is about a separate itinerary... read "ticket".

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,336 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: united airlines baggage allowance

Geo, I'm aware of the "first marketing carrier" rule, but it's not clear to me that the international baggage fee schedule (one free bag) applies to domestic itineraries within that ticket (from "stopover" point, not "connection" point),

Roger,

United has a baggage fee calculator that should show you the baggage fees based on your reservation number (PNR). Enter your conformation number and last name and it see if it shows the fees for each flight. Please let us know what you find. (I can't help here as I'm a 1K elite member and so get free bags on all United flights. But I'd like to know what it says).

united.com/CMS/…CheckedBaggage.aspx

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: united airlines baggage allowance

If all your flights are on the same 6 digit code you will be fine, we are flying EDI - EWR - SAN - SFO - CLE -EWR -EDI in May and all our first checked bags are free. In 2011 my one United booking was LHR - SFO - SAN - ORD - LHR which was all baggage free but ORD -CLE return had a baggage fee as it was on a different ticket

Edited: 05 March 2014, 13:00
Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: united airlines baggage allowance

also 2009 we flew EDI - LHR - IAD - SAN - LAS - SFO - ORD - LHR -EDI and all british midland and United legs were free baggage, we only paid extra for us airways flight SAN - LAS which was outwith the one booking number

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: united airlines baggage allowance

I just had people fly CUN_IAH and stay for a couple days. They were charged the baggage fees from IAH-YEG because even a transborder flight has fees and they were told that because they stopped over and didn't connect the one free bag didn't apply. I don't know if that was wrong on the check in agents part or if that's what they always do, but when I fly CUN-IAH-YEG it's always free, but we only ever connect not stay. They weren't really annoyed so didn't bother pursuing it, but thought it was worth noting to me.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: united airlines baggage allowance

Some people didn't notice that the domestic flight, to LAS, does NOT immediately follow the international flight. There's a three-day break. It's a brand new flight. You will be under domestic baggage allowances and fees. We've gone through the same thing.

Easy enough to confirm this by calling United or checking online (you can input your confirmation # and flights, and you'll see your allowances).

Edited: 05 March 2014, 15:48
Perth, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: united airlines baggage allowance

Thanks to all who have replied, varying opinions.

I have done as USBusiness traveller has suggested and put my confirmation number in to the UA checked baggage services website and YAY! we will have the free 23kg one bag allowance each for all our flights!

Geo, marion and all others, thankyou for your advice and experience. This is our first time to USA, and just trying to be as prepared as possible, even though we have another 8 months to wait for our vacation of our lifetime