We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Checking in without a ticket

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Checking in without a ticket

Hi,

My parents are flying from Gatwick to Mexico with Virgin, and they have been having some trouble with their tickets. They purchased their flight through Dial a Flight, but the agent spelt my Dad's name wrong on the ticket. My parents contacted Dial a Flight to get this amended, which seems to have been done as I have logged into the Virgin Atlantic site and checked their booking and both names are correct and the same as their passports. They have been waiting for Dial a Flight to re-issue their documentation, but Dial a Flight are now saying that they do not need a ticket or anything to check in for the flight. My parents are in their 70's and worried that there will be an issue when they go to check in, so I just want to reassure them that it will be ok. I flew with Virgin before Christmas, and can't remember them asking for anything but my passport when I checked in.

Any help much appreciated!

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,042 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Checking in without a ticket

No problem at all , I can't remember the last time I saw an airline ticket. If their booking is correct on the Virgin site then everything is fine.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
980 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Checking in without a ticket

No worries.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,301 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Checking in without a ticket

Not that's it's critical in this case, but you should be able to print out your e-ticket receipt from Virgin's website. My mother uses Dial A Flight and she has been able to do that; in one case she gave me the reservation number and and I viewed her ticket receipt on VS's site.

That said, as long as they can see the flights on the website they should be fine and can show up at Gatwick with just their passports to identify themselves to VS check in/bag drop staff.

Not relevant in this case but .... there are some countries and airports where you do need to show a ticket, ticket receipt, or boarding pass to enter the airport's terminal. My experience is with India and Egypt. So while in the OP's case (Gatwick, UK, Europe, North America) it is not required, it's still a good idea to carry an official print out of your ticket receipt, just in case.

Edited: 05 March 2014, 09:48
Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Checking in without a ticket

Thanks all. Much appreciated.

5. Re: Checking in without a ticket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2015, 05:29