We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cofused about flights

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
178 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
cofused about flights

hey all what hapens if i wanted to fly from Melbourne to LA and do a trip around Calafronia and fly from LA to New York and Fly back to Melbourne Do i have to book all one way tickets or is there a another Cheaper option

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,662 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cofused about flights

Hi,

You can get a multi-city ticket..

That would he something like A->B->C->A

So unlike a "normal" A to B to A return (round trip) ticket, this allows you to visit city C as well and it puts it all on one booking/ticket -- which often affords you the added protection of missed connections - which on separate tickets, would usually be your risk

Travel safe,

Edited: 06 March 2014, 03:29
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,049 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cofused about flights

Maybe look at a round the world ticket

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cofused about flights

Look for the "Multi-City" option on the Qantas website (near Return and One-Way). You could book MEL-LAX return and book your USA flights separately. There are a number of ways to do it. As stated above, you will be responsible for not missing any connecting flights between the different booking though.

Depending on the flights you are looking at, a travel agent such as Flight Centre might be an option for you to go to. Watch out for different luggage allowances.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,473 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: cofused about flights

I would price a multi-city ticket and then compare against purchsing the internal flights separately. But I would only purchase the internal flights separately if there was no chance of them impacting on my return. So if your plan is:

1. Fly MEL-LAX then travel around California for some number of days

2. Fly LAX-New York then stay in NYC for a number of days

3. Fly New York-LAX then stay a number of days

4. Fly LAX-MEL

I would book MEL-LAX-MEL on a return ticket and then see what's the best deal on LAX-New York-LAX that I could get. Keep in mind that if your domestic flight is more than 24 hours after your international, you will likely have to pay for checked baggage. So I'd try and find an airline that doesn't charge (Southwest I think, but I don't know where they fly).

However, if you want to return New York-LAX-MEL and there is a chance that delays in your flight from New York may affect your LAX-MEL flight, then I'd suggest booking on one ticket with the multi-city option. THat said, there are generally a lot of flights New York-LAX so if you took an early flight to LAX and a late from from LAX, that would give you some leeway in case of short delays (not if there is a catastrophic weather event that takes out flights for days though).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
178 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cofused about flights

Thanks guys i found a multi city stopover for a resemble price will that mean i will be give my added protection as i will be stayin in New york for one nite before my second tour at thought that i need to buy all one way tickets Frist time Flying by myself

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,539 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cofused about flights

"Thanks guys i found a multi city stopover for a resemble price will that mean i will be give my added protection" - Buying a multi city flight on a single ticket gives you greater protection that you do not get with separate one way tickets and will almost certainly be cheaper.

7. Re: cofused about flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2015, 07:22