We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking flights from abroad

London, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Booking flights from abroad

I was booking a flight online and it asked me if I am a UK resident as apparently they are not allowed to sell flights abroad (I actually read this part after I booked and paid).

I have a UK address, bank account, income etc and I am a British Citizen however I am currently in Mexico which is where I booked from, as I didn't realise this would be a problem.

Is there any chance I will face problems as I was abroad when I booked my flight or is it enough that I am a UK resident? The booking went through fine.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,627 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking flights from abroad

Which airline(s)? And who did you book with?

Sorry but saying you booked "a flight online" without giving any details isn't much to go on.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking flights from abroad

You need to give more info as usbt says, it could be a local tax issue, also are you resident in Mexico or just visiting and booking a return ticket.

Sorry. But you have not provided enough info to enable anyone to help. However do note the fact the booking went through could be totally irrelevant, when they check your passport at the airport, that's when the issue could arise.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking flights from abroad

I have a UK address, bank account, income etc and I am a British Citizen

-------

I would say that's a good definition of being a uk resident. Most especially if you paid with a uk credit or debit card. I wouldn't worry about it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking flights from abroad

I'm sorry, I thought I included the airline. I booked through Thomas Cook and the airline is their airline. I am studying in Mexico and have a temporary student visa, but it don't think that compromises my British residence? I will be in the UK for 6 months of this year.

The flight is a return- uk to Mexico and back again.

London, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking flights from abroad

Joeintheuk, I did pay with a UK HSBC debit card :)

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking flights from abroad

Then unless they get a private detective on you how are they going to know that you also live in Mexico at times? And even if you did by everything you write you could certainly claim to be a resident and "prove it" outside of any venue than perhaps a court room and some highly legalistic determination of what being a resident means.

I wouldn't have any worries at all.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking flights from abroad

Ah, ok, I thought it was you had to be a Mexican resident and were booking with a regional airline.

If it's thomas cook you are fine. You are a British resident, you know if you have broken residency and you have not. There is no issue here.

London, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking flights from abroad

Thank you for your help!

I was just a little worried because i clicked uk resident, but then afterwards saw that it was because they aren't allowed to trade outside of the uk which I currently am.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,007 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking flights from abroad

Booking a flight on flythomascook isn't an issue, no what where you book from. The agency site though thomascook.com is only registered to trade within the UK, but if you have a UK address and card that's fine as well.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking flights from abroad

I was just a little worried because i clicked uk resident, but then afterwards saw that it was because they aren't allowed to trade outside of the uk which I currently am.

-----

Your debit/credit card is inside the uk though, right? So there was no trade outside the uk.

Seriously, just enjoy your flights and don't think about it again.