We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another United question

melbourne,aus
Level Contributor
965 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Another United question

I am about to book 2 flights with United but am totally confused with the new baggage allowance. Can someone please tell me in simple terms how much luggage we will have included with our tickets and how much extra we will have to pay to upgrade to 35kg on the LAS/HNL flight?

We will be flying From Melbourne to Los angeles on 13/9 and then Las Vegas to Honolulu on the 7/10. Both flights will be booked at same time if that matters???

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,875 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another United question

Janet,

You cannot "upgrade" to 35kg. The weight limit for your one free checked bag is 23kg, and the overweight charge is $100 for up to 32kg, and in excess of 32kg it's $200.

Remember that United is pretty generous with its carry on weight. The only published weight limit I have seen is on a self printed boarding pass, which states 18kg, but I haven't seen it anywhere else and I very much doubt your carry on would be weighed (though it will be measured).

The baggage fee you pay for your first flight (MEL-LAX) will be the same for all subsequent flights on the SAME TICKET. So if both flights are on the same ticket (use the multi-destination option to search for flights) if you stay within the one free bag limit you won't have to pay any baggage fees for those flights.

Edited: 08 March 2014, 04:35
Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,882 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another United question

Hi

YOU should get at least 1 free bag on your Melbourne to LAX flight

the LAS HNL flight is considered domestic so will have to pay for baggage

all the facts and fees are on Uniteds web page

united.com/web/…default.aspx

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,882 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another United question

Hi

Her LAS/ HNL is almost a month later so no way it will be the same as her melbourne LAX flight

Usually on domestic flights connecting to an international flight within 24 hrs you get the international weight

allowance and cost but not a week or a month alter

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,875 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another United question

sawadeeka,

No, the law in the US has changed re baggage allowances (and I mean the law). For tickets that originate or have an ultimate destination of the USA, the allowance for the first flight is kept for all flights on that ticket. So an allowance of one free checked bag on flight #1 means the same on #2, #3, etc.. As long as they are on the same ticket.

We went through this on another thread a couple of days ago - tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k72553…

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,882 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another United question

Hi

thanks for the Update

let me see if I have this right

so it all comes down to how they book the tickets and what class of ticket.

so if the poster books both flights on same ticket as a multi ticket with same number than free bag

but if two seperate tickets but same ailine different number then she pays domestic baggage fees for last flight

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,875 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another United question

"so if the poster books both flights on same ticket as a multi ticket with same number than free bag

but if two seperate tickets but same ailine different number then she pays domestic baggage fees for last flight"

Sawadeeka,

Yup, you've got it. :-)

The regulation 399.87 of the DOT covers it. And, when codes shares or multi-carrier tickets are involved, it's the baggage allowance of the "first marketing carrier" that counts. That means look on your ticket and the flight number of the first flight, and it's that airline's allowance. As an example, if your first flight is operated by United, but your ticket shows a LH code share flight, then it's Lufthansa's baggage allowance that applies for all flights on the ticket (even if you never set foot on a Lufty plane).

Edited: 08 March 2014, 05:07
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,875 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another United question

And, just to emphasize, this is ONLY for itineraries that originate or have an ultimate destination of the USA, as it's a US law not IATA.

melbourne,aus
Level Contributor
965 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another United question

Thanks guys, i did try the united website baggage check but i need to enter flight details which i dont have at this stage. So if i understand right the allowance per person is 1 bag weighing up to 23kgs on both flights at no extra cost but if i want to add another bag it will cost me an extra $100? Will they allow a normal handbag as well as a carry bag?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,538 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another United question

Here is the page with the info

united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/Pages/changedbag…

Yes you can carry a purse (handbag ? is that what it is) and a carryon. If you provide the details of your flight on that page, you can get the exact charge once you have your ticket

Edited: 08 March 2014, 05:30
10. Re: Another United question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2015, 06:20