We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salta to El Calafate flights, LAN vs Aerolineas?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Salta to El Calafate flights, LAN vs Aerolineas?

Hi,

I'm looking at a flight from Salta to El Calafate around 25th March, these are the 2 airlines available with LAN being around $100 more and also flight time around 10 hours more too. I have heard

Aerolineas is a bad airline but how bad can they be for a short haul flight? Even if delayed, I think it's better than waiting 10 hours more if with LAN and also more expensive.

And any tips on getting cheaper flights in Argentina? I looked everything and the price is ridiculous...over $450 one way.

Thanks

Aaron

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
930 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salta to El Calafate flights, LAN vs Aerolineas?

On www.Skyscanner.net it was cheaper to split the journey in two. The total cost would be $335 but this would involve the early morning LAN flight from BA at 05.20, otherwise it would cost you $400 and this would involve an overnight stay in BA anyway. It is quite a long way so $335 may not be too bad

I guess you do not have the time but a much better idea would be to hire a car and drive down Ruta 40!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Salta to El Calafate flights, LAN vs Aerolineas?

Hmm, how did you get that price under $350? When I tried to book 2 seperate flights, they are around $210 for the first leg and $250 for the second.

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
930 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salta to El Calafate flights, LAN vs Aerolineas?

Sorry but flight prices have already gone up! I think they are now even higher than you quoted

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,182 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salta to El Calafate flights, LAN vs Aerolineas?

We flew Aerolineas Argentinas a few years ago. They were fine, despite the negative reports on Trip Advisor. In fact, one of our flights arrived a few minutes EARLY!

I would certainly fly with them again - especially since they had many more flights per day for our itinerary than LAN. We had 4 one-way flights: Buenos Aires - El Calafate - Ushuaia - Buenos Aires. Prices were quite reasonable.

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
930 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salta to El Calafate flights, LAN vs Aerolineas?

We flew with Aerolineas Argentina from BA to Trelew, Trelew to BA, BA to Iguazu, Salta to BA, BA to Ushuaia, Ushuaia to El Calafate, Mendoza to BA - 7 flights.

All flights were on time or close to being on time. The prices were fine. The planes were old MD 80 series jets. The cabin crew were not particularly welcoming. If they are cheaper than LAN fly with AA. We flew with LAN in Peru and Ecuador and from Madrid to Lima and back from Ecuador and back they were very good.

London, United...
Level Contributor
223 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salta to El Calafate flights, LAN vs Aerolineas?

I've always had good experiences with LAN.

Aerolineas's on board experience was okay - although from my experience their crew seem to treat the flight as a social occasion, and spend most of their time chatting to passengers they recognise or amongst themselves :-)

When things go wrong it's a different matter - my experience of their resolution of any type of problem has been uniformly dreadful. Agents are unhelpful, call centres unobtainable, assistance non-existent etc. etc. (for example trying to get a refund has been impossible - three times I've had to resort to getting my credit card company to recover through a chargeback) - and for this reason they're absolutely a carrier of last resort for me. If I had the choice of saving $100 or flying LAN, then personally it would be LAN every time for me. The 10 hour additional travelling time might make me think twice - but I'd still probably plump for LAN. Just my personal perspective !

Edited: 11 March 2014, 14:31
Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
7,346 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Salta to El Calafate flights, LAN vs Aerolineas?

I flew LAN to Ecuador and other than an aborted landing attempt it was a very smooth flight. Flights were on time, amenities were good, staff helpful.

I flew Aerolineas Argentina from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia and it left much to be desired. I wasn't on either flight I booked. I was supposed to fly from the domestic airport nonstop direct to Ushuaia at 8am. I got to the airport around 5 to learn that the flight was indefinitely delayed. They told me they could put me in a cab to the international airport and fly nonstop direct to Ushuaia from there. I had less than an hour to get there, but they said the plane would be waiting for us. We barely made it, and the cab driver tried to extort us by double charging us even though AA had already paid. The desk agents at the EZE had no idea we were even coming and said the plane would not be held for us. We ran through the airport, but we did make it. We were quite surprised when the plane landed in El Calafate first though. They lied about there being a connection.

On the way home, we docked in Ushuaia and I turned on my phone to check my flights and the return flight was already delayed to the evening (24 hours in advance), at which point I would've missed my international connection. I left the boat first thing in the morning and immediately went to the airport and sat on the floor for a couple hours on stand-by for an earlier flight. I got one of the last seats, but I made it. This flight got me into the domestic airport so I had to take the bus to the international airport to catch my flight. They went on strike the next day and all domestic flights were grounded, but I believe this affected all Argentinian based transportation workers.

I had read about them and thought, what are the chances its an issue for me? Well both flights were issues. Luckily I was prepared and vigilant before my flights so I was able to get myself on other flights, but it was very stressful. I would spend the extra money to fly LAN anyday.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Salta to El Calafate flights, LAN vs Aerolineas?

man the prices are always more expensive than the initial Kayak quotes! It shows $370 but when you try to book it it goes up to $520, happens all the time...

9. Re: Salta to El Calafate flights, LAN vs Aerolineas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2015, 05:18