We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Airlines and Allianz Insurance

Great Neck, New York
8 posts
Save Topic
American Airlines and Allianz Insurance

Has anyone had any experience with American Airlines/Allianz refusing to refund part of an airfare paid for using AA vouchers. This trip was cancelled due to my wife taking ill.

SLK

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,573 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American Airlines and Allianz Insurance

Well, if you used vouchers, you really weren't out-of-pocket any money were you? What are they supposed to be paying you for? Not enough information to comment, and no one here has the terms and conditions of your ticket or your insurance policy.

Great Neck, New York
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: American Airlines and Allianz Insurance

I used these vouchers towards the total cost of the ticket and they are now worthless as they are gone and cannot be used again. In addition, I paid the insurance company a premium based on the FULL ticket price and happened to have used $400 of vouchers towards the cost. I am out of pocket by $400, I have paid for coverage of the full cost of the ticket so why should I lose out?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
20,713 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American Airlines and Allianz Insurance

What do the terms of the insurance say in case of cancellation for sickness?

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,675 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American Airlines and Allianz Insurance

you mean Allianz agreed to pay the cash portion of the ticket but not the voucher part? If so, it doesn't seem right or fair, as you insured yourselves for the full value of the tickets. But then nothing about insurance companies or their conditions shock me anymore. Sorry I don't have any experiences.

Great Neck, New York
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: American Airlines and Allianz Insurance

Q: If I cancel my trip, do I get my money back?

A: In most cases, yes. Trip cancellation coverage gives cash back for prepaid, nonrefundable payments if you have to cancel your trip for one of the reasons covered by your policy. Some reasons include sudden covered medical emergencies, financial default of a covered airline, cruise line or tour operator, employer termination, terrorist incidents, and jury duty. Changing your mind about taking a trip or having certain business obligations are not covered.

Great Neck, New York
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: American Airlines and Allianz Insurance

That is exactly right and not absolutely not fair.

Great Neck, New York
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: American Airlines and Allianz Insurance

It was cancelled for a covered reason.My wife was ill and we could not take the trip.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
42,584 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: American Airlines and Allianz Insurance

When do the vouchers expire?

Will AA allow you to put them back into your "bank?"

Hunt

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,378 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: American Airlines and Allianz Insurance

I never buy the travel insurance offered by the airline, for the very reason that you likely hit "purchase" without having time to read the T+Cs before the time to ticket expires. And you never know what gotchas are there. I buy independently. Though thanks for the heads up, as I hadn't considered what would happen with tickets part paid in vouchers.

Good idea from Hunt. Write **politely** to American, explain what happened and **ask** them if they'd reinstate your vouchers. That's assuming they were e-certs/vouchers issued by AA in the first place.

Great Neck, New York
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: American Airlines and Allianz Insurance

The vouchers were going to expire a few weeks after I had used them. Actually I called AA customer care today, spoke to Michael and explained the situation to him. He said that he agreed with me and that what I was saying was absolutely logical. He then put me an hold for a while and came back with the answer, "AA has no control over Allianz." I found this very interesting as when you purchase tickets on AA's website and you elect to purchase insurance on THEIR website, thee premium is paid to AA and you then get confirmation from Allianz. How is it then the AA have no control or say?