We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aeromexico will steal your money and refuse to give it back.

Manassas, Virginia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Aeromexico will steal your money and refuse to give it back.

I booked a flight to a Central American destination early this year for a nice midwinter vacation with my husband.

Well, the day of our flight, there was a major North Eastern snowstorm. EVery flight out of our city was cancelled. Not my fault. Not Aeromexico's fault. These things happen.

So, I called them to see how they were going to handle it. They said a refund was not an option. Fine. Act of God, whatever.

So they said they would rebook my flight at a different date but they were sold out until the end of the month. And oh, by the way, I would have to pay the difference between the original ticket price and they ticket price of a different date----which was $500 more than the original ticket price, because the only tickets they had available were during the high season. I think that's poor customer service, but okay. Fine.

The guy said I had 10 months to redeem it.

Well, I called back three weeks later to rebook it, and he said that I only had two days to rebook the flight, that time had passed, they were taking my money and they would not be giving it back.

NO ONE told me this when I talked to them originally. They made it very clear I had up to ten months to rebook it at no charge except for any difference in the ticket price. I explained this and asked to speak to a manager or supervisor. The guy on the phone was *extremely* rude though I was trying to stay calm and cordial with him. I asked 4 times before he finally agreed to let me speak to a supervisor. At which time, he put me on hold and left me there for 45 minutes.

Finally, I hung up and called back. The same jerk answered the phone. I tried asking to speak to a supervisor again, and he hung up on me.

What. The hell.

Do NOT book through Aeromexico for any reason. If there is any problem at all, even if it's not your fault. you're not going to get your money back no matter what you do. I'm out $1200 unless my bank agrees to reverse the charges.

Edited: 11 March 2014, 06:07
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,994 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aeromexico will steal your money and refuse to give it back.

More details please.

Which date? Flight number, departure airport and destination?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aeromexico will steal your money and refuse to give it back.

Is this serious? No criticism of the OP I'm just astounded that an airline wouldn't provide a refund in this sort of situation? I can't believe this is standard practice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aeromexico will steal your money and refuse to give it back.

This looks like a big communication mess. What do the terms and conditions state in terms of refund, although that is a moot point now as you took the voucher, and what do the terms and conditions of the voucher say that you received

He said, she said, is seldom reliable, simply look to the terms and conditions to see what the rules are.

Manassas, Virginia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Aeromexico will steal your money and refuse to give it back.

Yes, this is 100% serious. I swear to you this is exactly how it went down. I couldn't believe it, either.

Manassas, Virginia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Aeromexico will steal your money and refuse to give it back.

For which ticket? The re-issue or the original?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,994 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aeromexico will steal your money and refuse to give it back.

"I can't believe this is standard practice."

Neither can I. Which is why the OP needs to provide details as requested in #1. Then there's something to check up on and verify.

Manassas, Virginia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Aeromexico will steal your money and refuse to give it back.

All they did was send me a blank ticket. Like the confirmation email you'd normally get after booking a flight but everything was blank. Blank departure city, blank date, blank arrival, ect. I don't see anything about when the tickets had to be used, but I was told on the phone within ten months. I took them at their word. Clearly, I should not have.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aeromexico will steal your money and refuse to give it back.

Ok, I would do two things. Gather all your documentation and raise a dispute with your credit card company,,,if you paid by credit card?

Secondly, phone again, be nice, don't speak to the original agent, and just ask to use the voucher. See what happens, if they say it had an expiry date, ask where you would have seen that info.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,180 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aeromexico will steal your money and refuse to give it back.

Is this a flight booked on 2 separate tickets?,or is Aeromexico the ticketed carrier on 1 ticket USA-MEX-XXX.

If you want assistance,then more details are required.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,994 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aeromexico will steal your money and refuse to give it back.

"For which ticket? The re-issue or the original?"

What reissue? You said they wouldn't reissue you anything. They offered you a credit that time expired. So what reissue?

Flight details please.