We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Main Cabin Extra or Exit Row on AA domestic ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
752 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Main Cabin Extra or Exit Row on AA domestic ?

I have a multi city itinerary booked via BA which includes an American Airlines flight from ORD to LGA (737) as I have WT+ tickets I have been booked into MCE, I can also move myself into an exit row for no extra cost.

I have only experienced E+ on a United Express E175 and wasn't that impressed with the legroom.

I am guessing the exit row seats will be more desirable, perhaps someone can let me know their experiences.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,001 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Main Cabin Extra or Exit Row on AA domestic ?

The exit rows have trays in the armrests, making the seats narrower, also they don't recline. It's a short flight and I'd stick with MCE.

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,223 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Main Cabin Extra or Exit Row on AA domestic ?

My husband prefers the exit seat. More leg room. He's not wide. Some exit seats recline, like the back ones if there are two exit rows. But yes it's a short flight.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
6,415 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Main Cabin Extra or Exit Row on AA domestic ?

Are you tall? I always used my status to get the Exit Row seats. More legroom even if a bit narrower.

London, United...
Level Contributor
752 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Main Cabin Extra or Exit Row on AA domestic ?

We are both quite 'narrow' and we have the choice of the second row of exit seats that do recline.....

Seat width doesn't bother me that much, or reclining as it's a short flight, sounds like I will opt for the exit row seats !.....the OH does like to recline (sometimes!)

Edited: 11 March 2014, 16:44
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,817 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Main Cabin Extra or Exit Row on AA domestic ?

The exit rows have a lot more leg room than the MCE and United's E+ seats. If it's a plane with two rows of exits, the back one will recline. The seats are marginally narrower. I am Platinum on AA so get my choice of seats and always choose the exit rows over the MCE when available.

It's also an extremely short flight, 2 hours tops, so it's really not that big a deal either way.

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Main Cabin Extra or Exit Row on AA domestic ?

Fascinating to read people's opinions, I'm 6ft 1" and value the width more *particularly* if in a middle seat.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,299 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Main Cabin Extra or Exit Row on AA domestic ?

Main Cabin Extra for me.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
36,614 posts
934 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Main Cabin Extra or Exit Row on AA domestic ?

<<My husband prefers the exit seat. More leg room. He's not wide.>>

I am with you, regarding the legroom. A bit of a more narrow seat is not and issue, and recline on a short-range flight seldom enters into my mix.

Hunt

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,793 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Main Cabin Extra or Exit Row on AA domestic ?

Whether you find the extra room enough is subjective. I like the MCE seats though better than exit rows.

Another choice is row 16 or 17 on AA's 737. These two rows have the middle seats blocked out so you know nobody can possibly sit next to you. The downside is they offer no extra legroom.

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,779 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Main Cabin Extra or Exit Row on AA domestic ?

MCE seats offer enough extra legroom and are closer to the front of the aircraft. Also, they are not the more narrow seats in the exit row.

So I prefer the MCE seats over the exit row. If they are not available, then I prefer the exit row.