We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Airlines pricing

Texas
Level Contributor
632 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
American Airlines pricing

Trying to decide where to vacation this summer. I have a few questions about the flights from DFW.

First off, I'm using American Airlines, I have a nominal number of air miles that I need to use.

Looking for a flight to either Paris, Greece or Italy. I've been checking the websites for about two weeks and am absolutely shocked at the prices! Approximately 1,500 to Italy.

My trip dates are flexible, wanting to go probably around July 7th-ish and return about 17th.

Are rates of around one thousand dollars out of the question? Last time I checked, the rates to my selected cities were about that amount.

Anyone flying out of DFW this summer?

Please, let me know, what rates you are paying and on which airlines. I suppose I can buy more magazines and fly on another carrier if the prices vary extremely. :(

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,994 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American Airlines pricing

July is the high season and I'd be very surprised if you could get flights to Europe for $1000.

But, one way of looking is http://matrix.itasoftware.com . It allows you to enter multiple destinations into the search criteria, and search over a month period (enter first departure date and length of stay).

It's possible you could find a one or two stop route to Europe for less than $1500.

Texas
Level Contributor
632 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American Airlines pricing

Thanks, I just tried that website, I get an error message. I'll try again later.

Would June be better? I checked he rates just nice, but they were even higher.

I think that American Airlines is actually tracking my computer:(

Edited: 12 March 2014, 04:24
Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American Airlines pricing

Yes, doubt you will find rates at $1000. You are booking really late for the height of summer travel. The cheaper fare classes probably solid out long ago.

AA is not raising prices and tracking your computer. I see nothing below about $1500 for your dates. If you must travel during this time, it's just going to be expensive.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American Airlines pricing

I think that American Airlines is actually tracking my computer:(

=====

Yeh, they like to track your PC so they can offer you high prices so as to encourage you to book with someone else.

Alternatively, they aren't tracking your computer but $1500 is par for the course for summer fares to Europe, its peak tourist season. (OR they are tracking mine as well and offering me the same higher price, the scoundrels.)

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,318 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: American Airlines pricing

Try looking at BA.COM /

British Airways have a codeshare agreement with AA

Also if you live far enough south of Dallas consider flying out of Austin TX

with BA which you can book on the AA web site.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: American Airlines pricing

Try looking at BA.COM .... Also if you live far enough south of Dallas consider flying out of Austin TX

=====

$1,726.21

Texas
Level Contributor
632 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: American Airlines pricing

Lol, joe! Maybe my computer is just going rogue, wanting me to stay home and spend more quality time with it this summer.

Now, that's funny...

Thanks for the laugh.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: American Airlines pricing

You might try using a different browser to get the Matrix site working on your computer. I see a fare to Milan for $1340, for instance.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: American Airlines pricing

Matrix website wasn't working last night when OP posted. For some reason, US-MIL has had some great airfares this year. But for $200 savings I wouldn't fly there if I really wanted to go someplace else in Italy. You will eat up the savings in the time and money to get where you really want to go.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,541 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: American Airlines pricing

Try swing season like April/May or October/November. Everyone goes in summer so it's crowded and expensive. If your schedule will allow a spring or fall trip you'll probably find a better fare.