We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nervous Walk Me Through Departure & Arrival

Amarillo, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Nervous Walk Me Through Departure & Arrival

We are a family traveling to Italy this summer, this is our first overseas adventure and we are not sure what to expect in regards to the airport. We will be departing through our regional airport connecting to Dallas, from there Chicago, finally to Rome. Can you give me some idea what happens, what is the process/procedure here stateside in regards to an oversea flight? Check in procedures and such. Then we when we arrive in Rome what happens, what is the process/procedure? Much thanks!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,663 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nervous Walk Me Through Departure & Arrival

Is this your first flight or just your first flight to Europe??

Check in at your home airport is the same as for any other flight except that you will use your passport for ID and staff will check to make sure you have it. When you do on line check in before your flight the airline will ask for your passport details too.

Assuming the whole trip is on one ticket you will hand in your luggage at your home airport and then not see it again until you arrive in Rome. In Chicago you will get off one plane and walk to the gate of your next plane. IF you tell us the airline/s you are using people can tell you if you have to change terminals in Chicago. I would just make sure you have enough time in Chicago between flights so you don't have to run to the gate there.

In Rome they will look at your passport and stamp it. Then you will get your luggage and walk through a line that says" nothing to declare" and you will walk out of the airport. It is really all quite easy!!!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,336 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nervous Walk Me Through Departure & Arrival

If you need transport once in Rome Airport avoid anyone who approaches you as you come out into the terminal and offers you a taxi and instead go outside to the official taxi stand. Rogue taxi drivers come up to unsuspecting arrivals and gouge them on price once enroute. There is a fixed price for all legal taxis to any destination within the walls of Rome ( which is probably where your hotel would be). You don't want to start your trip with a taxi scam so just keep walking if someone tries approach you.

Amarillo, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nervous Walk Me Through Departure & Arrival

Thank you! My stress level is lower now! Although I know we are going to have to run to get to our flight in Chicago already...it is a tight connection.

I am going to hire a car service to pick us up and take us to the apartment we have rented. We are going to have quite a bit of luggage with us (due to the nature of the 2nd part of our trip) plus we are a family of 5 so a standard taxi is too small.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nervous Walk Me Through Departure & Arrival

For airport pick up and drop off, I would highly recommend http://www.romecabs.com

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,663 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nervous Walk Me Through Departure & Arrival

I agree with gracie-boo and highly recommend Rome Cabs listed in her posting!!!

How tight is your connection in Chicago and what airline are you using??

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
40,114 posts
1,201 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nervous Walk Me Through Departure & Arrival

<<Although I know we are going to have to run to get to our flight in Chicago already...it is a tight connection.>>

This is a very good time to list the exact airlines that you are flying, and for each leg of your trip, and whether you are on ONE ticket per traveler, or have separate tickets for the segments of your flights:

AMA - DFW

DFW - ORD

ORD - FCO

Also, post the arrival time at ORD, and departure time for FCO.

With international flights, the boarding time, and also the closure of the gate are further out from the Departure Time - what looks like a normal connection for domestic flights, gets tighter for international flights.

I would do this now, so that there are fewer worries.

Good luck,

Hunt

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,663 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nervous Walk Me Through Departure & Arrival

International flights generally start boarding 1 hr. before take off. I hope your dash to the gate in Chicago is not much less than an hour or so.

8. Re: Nervous Walk Me Through Departure & Arrival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 05:28