We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for input on first substantial trip!

Champaign-Urbana...
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for input on first substantial trip!

My husband and I plan to take a RTW trip between May-June. Being novice travelers, we're looking for input on where we plan to go. We'll likely fly out of New York and would like to visit Sydney, Auckland, Beijing (with possible trip to Tibet from there), and either Tanzania or Kenya. For you seasoned travelers out there: is this do-able? Is there a particular order that makes the most sense time- and cost-wise? For those who have been to Tanzania and/or Kenya, do you advise one over the other for going on safari? I'm a little worried about traveling to this area after the rainy season - will a lot of areas be washed out?

Thanks!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,222 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for input on first substantial trip!

Consider at what time if the year you want to visit. Auckland or Beijing in winter may not be fun. Winter in Tibet?

Cooler season in Africa is better for game viewing. Star Alliance and Oneworld have an RTW fare. This may give you an idea what is doable. Also if you do a search on RTW the topic will pop up numerous times on TA.

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for input on first substantial trip!

Some Oneworld RTW fares require you to go in one direction only I.e. if you starry flying west then all legs must keep flying west

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for input on first substantial trip!

How long are you travelling for? Auckland is to be avoided in the middle of winter. Sydney won't be a whole lot better. The logical order is Akl-Syd-Beijing-Africa (or v..v) but starting in NZ at that time of year really wouldn't be great. Aiming to be here in Nov-Dec would make a lot more sense

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,246 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for input on first substantial trip!

This is just one of the problems with attempting to 'do the world' in just a few weeks.

Personally, rather than producing a list of countries and then lining them up to visit. I would seriously consider the different climate zones, particularly in China and Tibet. As other have said, New Zealand in the middle of the winter is not the best of ideas.

5. Re: Looking for input on first substantial trip!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 05:19