We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight with Cyprus air cancelled

A K
London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Flight with Cyprus air cancelled

I booked a return flight just under a year ago to Cyprus for May half term and just had email to say my return leg of my flight has been canceled, I'm shocked as this must be the busiest day of the return from school holidays. What are my rights, I can't imagine I will be able to afford to rebook with another airline as prices are astronomical n

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight with Cyprus air cancelled

Your rights are rerouting or a full refund although the former can sometimes be hard to obtain. Which airline is it, which day were you scheduled to fly and where to?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight with Cyprus air cancelled

As far as I know you are screwed, as long as they give 2 weeks notification and a refund that's all they need to do.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight with Cyprus air cancelled

This is one of the problems of booking flights so far in advance.

When you made your reservation, this flight was probably just a provisional slot rather than a confirmed flight.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight with Cyprus air cancelled

With this notice it's either refund or rerouting as previously said, can the airline fly you on another day?

They won't reinstate the flight, so you either cancel and get your money back or you find another solution.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight with Cyprus air cancelled

The passenger has the choice of taking a full refund OR to be re-routed at the earliest opportunity.

If the airline has just simply stopped flying that day then the passenger could offer to be re-routed the day before or day after but if the airline cannot offer even this then the passenger can demand to be re-routed on another airline's flights which have space available.

If the airline decline this then the passenger may decide to write to them giving the airline 5 days to rebook a suitable flight or the passenger will rebook with another airline themselves and would be seeking the difference in fare from the original airline (in court if necessary) but the passenger must clearly decline the offer of any refund. There is some risk in this approach but as the OP has already stated the return flight is on one of the busiest days of the holiday and therefore fares will be way in excess now of what the OP paid originally last year.

Whether any eventual legal option is pragmatic or practical depends on where the airline is based and sometimes even on which airline (Small Planet comes to mind!).

Edited: 14 March 2014, 10:05
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight with Cyprus air cancelled

>>There is some risk in this approach <<

I would say so, particularly when it's someone who has already said they can't afford another ticket. There is no way the airline will just cough up, it will be a retracted battle that will finish in small claims court.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight with Cyprus air cancelled

Duh - just noticed it is Cyprus Air!

It does seem they have no flight from LCA-LHR on 1st June but there is one on the 2nd June to which you could transfer if that remains a possibility. If you absolutely have to be back on the 1st June then the alternative is BA663 departing at 19.25 arr LHR 22.25 but the fare is £406 each currently.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight with Cyprus air cancelled

>>I would say so, particularly when it's someone who has already said they can't afford another ticket. There is no way the airline will just cough up, it will be a retracted battle that will finish in small claims court.<<

I don't doubt that, but the airline is not giving the pax much choice in the matter so it's either take it to court to recover the additional fare paid or pay the increased fare of £406 pp to travel that day having taken the refund so the OP faces a battle either way.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight with Cyprus air cancelled

She should also look at her travel insurance and see if that covers it, as she may have to spend an extra night or come home earlier.

A K
London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight with Cyprus air cancelled

Hi thanks for all your responses, I have spoken with cyprus air and they told me that they have sold their daily slot at heathrow to another airline so are having to rebook all passengers on every daily flight onto other flights. This is going to take a while I think and they said they would come back to me. Ideally I wld like to be booked onto the BA flight on the same day but really can't afford to pay. Am going to contact my insurance company to find out where I stand as I think cyprus air will try to book me on flight day after which isn't good as my children are due back at school plus I have a hotel booked.