We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Checking in a breadmaker on an Emirates flight (Business)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
448 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Checking in a breadmaker on an Emirates flight (Business)

Hi, I'm flying Bangkok to Riyadh on Emirates Business class later this year. I'm going to buy a breadmaker before I leave. Can I just check in a box, or should I try and find some bag for it? Any tips would be welcome. Thanks

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,761 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Checking in a breadmaker on an Emirates flight (Business)

Hi,

In most cases it is acceptable to check-in a box ... however, some carriers will classify it as "unsuitably packed" thus triggering a damage liability disclaimer..

Naturally, the box, if accepted, must still meet the carries size/weight limits and fall within your regular baggage allowance; otherwise you'll be assessed overage charges.

IF the item is damaged in transit, you won't be able to file a claim for these damages ... They are still liable for total loss and delay of it, but the damage liability waiver would exclude damage issues.

I would check the carriers baggage section in their Contract of Carriage for exact wording.

Travel Safe,

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Checking in a breadmaker on an Emirates flight (Business)

Why don't you just have it shipped to your final destination??

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Checking in a breadmaker on an Emirates flight (Business)

I'm at a loss to why anyone would want to do this also. Can't you just either buy one on line and have it delivered or simply have it shipped?

The risk of damage or loss is quite high. I'm sure they must sell bread makers where ever you are or someone must deliver them?

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,036 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Checking in a breadmaker on an Emirates flight (Business)

Yes I am sure they have bread makers in the Middle Yeast. Just use your loaf and wheat until you are there.

If you really knead to take it with you any breakage could cost you plenty of bread and may leave you feeing sour dough. :-) (rye smile)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,863 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Checking in a breadmaker on an Emirates flight (Business)

If you plan to buy the appliance in Thailand (220V, 50 Hz) and use it in Saudia Arabia (127/220V, 60 Hz), make sure that it can tolerate the difference. For example, depending on the design any electric motors might run 20% faster than expected which could produce less than perfect results.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,815 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Checking in a breadmaker on an Emirates flight (Business)

MrMarcoos - wow! How long did that take you :)

Abs :)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
43,011 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Checking in a breadmaker on an Emirates flight (Business)

Funny MrMarcos.

>>Can I just check in a box, or should I try and find some bag for it?<

I think it would be better to bag-ette it up

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Checking in a breadmaker on an Emirates flight (Business)

Lol, very funny, I agree though, save your dough, wait till you are home and then get off your sweet buns and buy one there.

At yeast you know it won't be damaged, which would be a real pita.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Checking in a breadmaker on an Emirates flight (Business)

Oh dear, the pun-inis in this half-baked thread are getting worse.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
448 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Checking in a breadmaker on an Emirates flight (Business)

Thanks for the feedback and the puns. I've tried to find a breadmaker in Riyadh - I've found one in the last year, and it was crap quality. I thought I'd buy one in Bangkok cos I have 40 kg baggage allowance, and I'll only be using about half that. I figured it's cheaper to bring it with me for free than send it. But the voltage aspect is a good point. I'll look into that.