We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Piecing together a route from 1-way tickets

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Piecing together a route from 1-way tickets

Hi everyone,

Can anyone give me a good reason as to why I shouldn't piece together my itinerary based on 1-way flights? The scenario is as follows.

I am flying UK-Osaka(overland)Tokyo-Bali-NZ-Fiji-Australia-Dubai-UK this summer. I can put this together myself for a much cheaper cost (and I'm talking £500 minimum) than any travel agent is quoting me, however it is obviously a piecemeal route picked together from budget airlines such as Air Asia, Jetstar (besides getting to Japan and getting back from Australia which will be with Emirates).

Should I anticipate any problems in doing this? I am flying directly between places and don't require any transit visas so I don't see a problem there. I've been on a similar trip using an itinerary put together by a major travel agent before but nobody ever asked me a thing at immigration or customs, no proof of onward travel etc but even this is by the by as I will have all my onward travel tickets already purchased anyway to show them.

I'm just trying to clarify whether there is any reason I haven't considered which means I'd be dumb to do this myself as obviously in this particular circumstance it works out cheaper to do it myself, perhaps because it is quite an awkward itinerary.

Cheers

CG

edinburgh,scotland
Level Contributor
761 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Piecing together a route from 1-way tickets

You have no protection if a flight is cancelled or retimed but if you are not arriving then connecting onto another flight should be ok leaving min 24hrd between flights also check baggage limits as these will be diff with each airline and you may have to pay baggage costs

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Piecing together a route from 1-way tickets

Cheers, I'll just be taking hand luggage so no baggage problems and I'm not getting any connections, the flights are at least one week apart. I'm just going for fun so hopefully any cancellations/time changes I'll be able to cope with just fine.

In terms of getting through immigration etc, does it not make a difference to them that it's not on 1 itinerary? Someone told me it may look dodgy having different tickets from different airlines but I honestly don't see how it changes things because travel agents do that anyway!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Piecing together a route from 1-way tickets

As long they arent connections, which they arent, then I see no issues at all, assuming you have visas as required and flights leaving as required, there is certainly not going to be a requirement for them to be on a single ticket

Though I'm frankly amazed you can do that for £500. That is around £70 a flight on average for long haul trips such as UK-Osaka, Dubai-Australia, Australia-UK. If I take a website who I'd expect to show unrealistically low prices, no names mentioned, I am seeing more than £500 for the first leg alone. Do you work for an airline or otherwise have access to airline standby tickets?

Edited: 15 March 2014, 19:01
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,034 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Piecing together a route from 1-way tickets

I think the OP means the savings would be £500.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Piecing together a route from 1-way tickets

Haha yes sorry I may not have been clear, I meant I can make a saving of £500 by doing it myself.

One of the other reasons I'd like to do it myself is due to the patronising attitude of a couple of travel agents who scoffed at my budget, talking down to me about 'high season' and 'no airlines offer that route' when my budget is actually based on what I have priced it for myself lol. I understand, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and on this occasion the budget airlines are considerably cheaper in getting me around Asia and the Pacific and in a more direct fashion too.

Thanks for all your advice - I will go ahead and start buying the tickets I require while they are still cheap (so I don't get egg on my face!)

Cheers

CG

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,347 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Piecing together a route from 1-way tickets

The only problem I can see is if one of the airlines drops any of your flights from it's schedule and this can happen at fairly short notice.

It could put you in the position of having to buy another ticket with another carrier at a much higher cost to fill the gap.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Piecing together a route from 1-way tickets

Aye true, that certainly becomes more of a risk when doing it this way. I would just have to pay up in that case but I'm willing to take that chance since I'll have some flexibility. I'll avoid the ones I've had bother with before, to at least mitigate some risk, or at the very least not feel like a total idiot when they do cancel ha. Cheers

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Piecing together a route from 1-way tickets

We always advise buy through the airlines and not a third party where possible. You don't need connecting tickets, your flights are days apart. You are doing it the right way, buy from the airlines, remember to take out travel insurance and have a great trip.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Piecing together a route from 1-way tickets

I haven't used an agent for years thanks to the attude you mention. Plus their unwillingness to combine airlines and use budget airlines. carry the paperwork confirming your flights when checking in sometimes the airline will check that you have an onward or return ticket due to immigration requirements

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,291 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Piecing together a route from 1-way tickets

Copper,

As mentioned earlier, as long as you're not looking to "connect" on separate tix (fly in and fly out a couple of hours later) you should be fine.

A couple of things to be aware of with LCCs -

1. Read up on each airline regarding their rules, fees, baggage limits, etc so you don't get any surprises and stung for excess fees. There are airlines out there with stingier rules and higher fees than RyanAir. :-)

2. Check up on the airlines' frequencies on each route. LCCs generally don't have interline agreements with other airlines, meaning if there's a problem they can't rebook you onto another airline. If a flight gets canceled you'd be rebooked onto the next flight with available seats on that LCC only. Those available seats may not be available for a few days, and if the airline doesn't fly that route daily (say only 3x weekly) you could be stuck for (up to) weeks.

Get good travel insurance for this, and in the case of (2) one that would buy you a new ticket on another airline should you be stuck somewhere due to an airline's irrops.

Well done on your research, and good luck.

Edited: 16 March 2014, 05:51