We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RTW trip- how much does it cost?

Bournemouth, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
RTW trip- how much does it cost?

Hello,

I previously posted in the solo traveller forum, but was told here was the place to ask about RTW trips.

I'm thinking about taking a RTW trip but have no idea how much it will cost! I'd like to buy a round the world ticket with about three, four or five destinations: Thailand, Australia, a small island like Fiji or Hawaii and possibly somewhere in America if my budget allows.

I'll go for two or three months and am allowing a cheap to moderate budget. I'll stay in hostels or cheap hotels, eat fairly cheaply (won't drink much alcohol), although I will need money for extra travel (trains, buses, taxis) and attractions and days out such as museums, outdoor activities, entrance fees etc.

Any help would be much appreciated!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,356 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RTW trip- how much does it cost?

This is the kind of thing you need to research yourself. Take a look at the kinds of accommodation you want to stay at in each place, and the kinds of activities and attractions you want to visit.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RTW trip- how much does it cost?

I would try searching for blogs and see if people state what they spent. Another approach is pick a budget that seems reasonable / feasible , let's say £100 a day, multiply that by how many days, add airfare. So if you say 3 months is 90 days, that's £9k, plus say £3k for a RTW is 12k.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,645 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: RTW trip- how much does it cost?

With a limited route and starting from the UK, have a look at the Great Escapade RTW ticket which uses Virgin Atlantic, Singapore Airlines, and Air New Zealand planes. Depending on when you start, a basic fare from the UK will be around £1300 plus taxes and fees, and would allow a route like (one of many examples) - London - Singapore - Bangkok - Singapore - Sydney - Auckland - Fiji - Los Angeles - London, or you could travel from LAX to numerous other cities on your own, then back to London.

http://www.thegreatescapade.com/

Other RTW tickets from the UK start closer to £2000 but will offer more flexibility with your route.

There are several travel agencies in the UK that know what they're talking about with RTWs, such as Trailfinders and STA.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
9,000 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RTW trip- how much does it cost?

Pop along to Trailfinders in Bournemouth, they will help you plan and give you an idea of what you can do. We are planning a trip like this and have been able to give us an idea of what the cost will be.

Good luck and enjoy planning.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RTW trip- how much does it cost?

For a successful RTW trip, a certain degree of travel "savvy" needs to be part of your knowledge, and from your questions, It does not appear you have it. Please do, as post 1 and 2 suggest; research. And then research some more,with the realization that posting questions on TA is not research, it is, for the most part, just asking for strangers' opinions. Good luck, have fun and take care. Chuck.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RTW trip- how much does it cost?

Allow £1500-£2000 for a RTW flight.

If you go on two or three of the major airlines web sites you will find a " multi city" function, sometimes with an interactive map showing the various routes and stopovers

Find out about " code share" , you could for example book with BA and be flying on another airlines aircraft, its very common and nothing to worry about.

So play around with dummy bookings, decide which stopovers you want to make and who flies there.

I have done this a few times now and it is fairly straightforward once you become familiar with the airlines websites

General advice is to book direct with the airline.

If you use a travel agent and meet a glitch on your travels the airline cannot deal with you directly but only with your travel agent.but that is not to say that Trailfinders, STA, Travelbag etc don't have their place.

There are itinerary managing apps such as Trippit that can be useful , but I also just logged each leg in a diary and printouts . Whilst Trippit manages things well, I relied upon it less and less as the holiday progressed.

Sticking with the diary but it was good to know I had two places where info was stored.

I find it a very enjoyable part of the whole experience , and by and large it has always gone well.

Budget

For example

Australia can be very expensive whilst Thailand is good value for money, so don't worry about the cost of things in Australia too much because its the overall cost that matters, thing even out.

Go for it

Edited: 18 March 2014, 07:21
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RTW trip- how much does it cost?

For the stopovers you mention, then Air New Zealand would be a good place to start.

(Sorry too late to add earlier post)

8. Re: RTW trip- how much does it cost?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2015, 06:17