We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cathay Pacific Economy

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Cathay Pacific Economy

Hi All,

I'm flying long-haul with Cathay Pacific (Sydney to London via Hong Kong then New York to Sydney via Hong Kongon 333 and 77W planes) in November. I've only ever flown long haul with QANTAS, which I thought was great, but it is going back a few years now (2008). I wanted to know people's experiences with Cathay Pacific in economy, particularly the new seats, as I've read the old seats were pretty terrible. And any other information you could give me would be great.

Thank you

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,339 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cathay Pacific Economy

CX is just fine and pretty much on par with everyone else in economy. The equipment that you will be flying on should all have the new recliners (so just like other airlines, not the fixed shell seats that drew so much negative feedback). Meals are subjective. Service is average to above average overall. Entertainment system is excellent with tons of content.

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cathay Pacific Economy

I have flown CX a number of times in economy and have never had a problem. I even experienced the clamshell seats, which I didn't mind too much. I moved to Malaysia Airlines because they had slightly more room between seats (34" as opposed to CX 32") but that said, I think the service on Cathay is slightly better.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,339 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cathay Pacific Economy

Not all Malaysian airline equipment has 34" though. Many configurations only have 32".

Young, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cathay Pacific Economy

Just wondering how your flight was? I'm doing the Sydney to London via HK on the 20th Dec. Do you think it would be worth the extra $100 to book an exit seat? (Already spending a fortune on the flight as it is!) Cheers, Emma.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cathay Pacific Economy

I've flown both Cathay and Qantas this year. I hadn't flown Qantas for years as I didn't partciularly like them, however this year from HK to Melbourne I was very impressed.

I used to use Cthay from HK to Melbourne, but now use Qantas. Serice ws better, seats were softer - all in all pretty good

Buyt end of the day - whatever airline gets you to the destination is all that should matter

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,339 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cathay Pacific Economy

"Worth" is only something you can determine. My cousin is 6'5 (1.96m) so I am sure the exit seat would be worth it to him. Of course, the drawback of most exit rows is the proximity to galleys or toilets so you tend to get more disturbance.

If you have a bit more money to spend, consider Premium Economy. While QF beats CX hands-down in the PE class service-wise, QF almost always costs quite a bit more than CX. If you just want a bigger seat with more leg room though, CX is adequate there.

7. Re: Cathay Pacific Economy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2015, 05:16