We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Australia

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin Australia

I had recently purchased tickets with Cheap Ticket from Queenstown to Sydney on Virgin Australian. Thinking that this is an international flight on a schedule airline, I had not not noticed any baggage fee. Imagine our surprise on being forced to pay NZ$120 per bag. Is there anything I can do?

Praf1

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Australia

Pay more attention next time?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Australia

No as your error

Even air nz across the Tasman you have to pay more to include bags (they have different packages you can pick)

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Australia

It is what it is. You wish to take the bags, you pay the fees. This is not unusual these days for scheduled airlines.

The only thing you can do is learn to research exactly what you are purchasing and be better prepared next time.

Edited: 19 March 2014, 08:18
India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,254 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Australia

Is there anything I can do?

About what? You did not pay attention to what you were purchasing so you pay up and get on with it.

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Australia

It's all in the fare and conditions which you agree to. Although not much help now I accept that flying Virgin Australia anywhere can be confusing. They have rebranded from a low cost carrier to a semi full service carrier, with conditions, checked luggage being one of them. Qantas is the only airline operating that sector that regardless of fare type does include checked baggage and meals. I can't stress again how important it is to read the conditions. Sorry it worked out this way for you.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Australia

Was Cheap Tickets a 3rd party booking site? In that case they were probably offering the "light" version only that is only hand luggage, it makes their prices look cheap. If booked directly with the airline then they will take you through all the extras which you accept or decline.

Be aware that with the LC airlines when they advertise sales it often is only the hand luggage price in large print that is shown.

7. Re: Virgin Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2015, 08:19