We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Missed flight on British Airways

Chevy Chase...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Missed flight on British Airways

Our boarding pass for flight BA 0072 form Muscat, Oman via London to Washington, D.C. read as follows

Date February 25, Gates closes 23:55, Departure 00:25

Underneath in bolder print yet it once more states BOARDING 23:55

We arrived at the airport on February 25 shortly after 9PM only to find out that we had missed our flight from the night before and were turned away. The flight was not fully booked but no effort was made to accommodate us. We were told to call the local office in the morning to make new arrangements. When being made aware that it should been stated that the gate closing time of 23:55 referred to a February 24 date, my argument was dismissed and we were left totally stranded as nobody was willing to do anything for us in the middle of the night.

We were able to get a new booking for February 27, purchased economy tickets this time and given the privilege of one extra suitcase as well as the use of the lounge in London Airport since we originally had business class tickets from London to Washington. Once we arrived in London, that privilege was also denied because they did not accept our old, unused boarding passes from two days prior.

I have written a letter to BA to make them aware of their responsibility in this particular case but only received a generic answer that did not address the issue of gate closing time not corresponding with the flight departure date.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Missed flight on British Airways

I agree that BA should ensure their boarding passes give the date on which the gate closes, if it's different from the date of departure (and I'm surprised they don't actually) but surely you must have realised that if your flight was departing in the very early hours of the 25th, you would be needing to make your way to the airport on the 24th? So while your boarding pass may have been unhelpful, I don't quite understand how you could have misunderstood your departure date and mentally added a whole additional day to your itinerary. I would have thought your hotel booking dates might have prompted you to see the error, or your plans for the day you landed back home.

12. Re: Missed flight on British Airways

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 March 2014, 04:05
uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Missed flight on British Airways

Is the OP Joey Essex in disguise ( English reality show " star" who said he doesn't know how to tell the time) ?

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,254 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Missed flight on British Airways

Actually if you look at his one review you'll see he is pretty time-conscious! :-)

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,473 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Missed flight on British Airways

Based on his avatar name I think this must be Clark Griswold - seriously when you booked the flight you must have known it departed at 25 minutes past midnight on 25 February so I have no idea why you would turn up at the airport at 9.00 PM on that date.

UK
Level Contributor
138 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Missed flight on British Airways

Since you also had checked baggage all BA itineraries state what time the bag drops close which would of said a time on the 24th or around 2300....as others have said you don't really have a leg to stand on. Lesson learnt on your part and check all documentation better next time.

17. Re: Missed flight on British Airways

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Missed flight on British Airways

>>I agree that BA should ensure their boarding passes give the date on which the gate closes, if it's different from the date of departure<<

Talk about the dumbing down of society. sigh.

19. Re: Missed flight on British Airways

Canada
Level Contributor
4,971 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Missed flight on British Airways

I love posts like this....they brighten my day.

True story - I was 14 when I first learnt about the 24 hour clock, on my very first flight. It was not a steep learning curve...quite simple in fact.