We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Fare Refund

Aussie
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Air Fare Refund

We have been waiting well over 3 months now for a refund of an Air Fare booked through Expedia. The Airline was Air France and they changed the flights on 3 occassions, with the Airport layovers blowing out from 8 hours to nearly 18 hours from Venice back to Australia. Due to the flight changes made by Air France resulting in the long Airport layovers, Expedia advised that the flights could be cancelled and a full refund given, but we may have to wait for 8 to 12 weeks for the refund. The request to cancel flights was made to Air France by Expedia on 23rd December 2013, and we have still have not received our refund. I have made numerous phone calls and emails to Expedia, and they say that we will get our refund, the last contact by Expedia was on 14th March wherein they advised to check with them in another 10 to 15 days if we have not received our refund. Apart from going to the Media with this, I do not know who to turn to next to try and resolve this issue. Any ideas from anyone out there that has had the same problem?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,375 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Fare Refund

Hi,

Did you pay by a credit card? If so, does your national law provide for passive charge backs for these kind of cases?

Travel safe,

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,546 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Fare Refund

Expedia have both Twitter feeds and a Facebook page that they probably monitor more closely than TA. Might be worth posting there.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Fare Refund

Dispute the charge with your credit card company.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Fare Refund

23 December. That's not well over 3 months

Why go to media?? Why would they care. It's just over the 12 weeks you were quoted. Just keep on with expedia. Credit refunds IMO from airlines usually take a while!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Fare Refund

Expedia can't refund you until they get the refund from Air France.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,285 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Fare Refund

I'm with GOPBI and Gracie, dispute it with your credit card provider.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Fare Refund

Proceedings against AirFrance

I looked for a lawyer and after 2 years i have won in court

AF had to pay everything (600,-- € Lateness plus attorney 500,--Euros)

look at google for Regulation 261/2004

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,604 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Fare Refund

This is not a compensation claim.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Fare Refund

these things take awhile, it has to go from air france to expedia and then expedia to you and of course, billing cycles can also impact. If you are not happy to wait, raise a charge back with CC company,

I agree with Raelene, what media are you going to go to? That's a bit silly. Its hardly headline news.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,826 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Fare Refund

You were told 8-12 weeks. It is now EXACTLY 12 weeks ( and 1 day) I would take a deep breath and wait a little longer before making myself crazy. When you contacted them on March 14 it was 11 weeks. They said give them another week or two. I would do just that.