We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scared of flying anyone??

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Scared of flying anyone??

I have always been terrified to fly, but since 911 and these recent flight stories it's even worse! I have never let it stop me from flying at least once a year, but would like to bind with others who are scared like I am.....of course I know the statistics, it's just the lack if control that has me completely crippled with fear the entire 4 hours it takes to get to cancun.....it's gotten worse with age I think......each bit of turbulence and I'm sweating. Can anyone relate to me???

Less than three months to Paradisus and I want to be excited. Not so scared!

Jenny

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scared of flying anyone??

Yes.. I hate it.. I was a Paratrooper and a flight medic in the Army and flew over 4000 missions. I crash landed twice and that's when I became "wary" about flying.

Ambian, Xanax and Scotch work wonders...

Lancaster...
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Scared of flying anyone??

I feel your pain. I too am terrified of flying. For me the worst part is take off and landing. I tried medication a couple times but dont like that I am exhausted my first whole day, so I try to deal. Either way I am exhausted bc my anxiety completely exhausts me. I am shaking ad sweating till the plane stops. I use Philadelphia airport usually and there was a story this week. UsAirways plane was taking off and the tire blew out!!! Thank God all were ok and plane didnt leave but it hoped and bounced before it stopped and they have to evacuate with the emergency exits......I can't even imagine how that would have been if it occurred on landing. This has me even more nervous. I wish too I could overcome this. I always say though I love to travel more then I hate to fly and thank God Mexico has direct flights!

glasgow
Level Contributor
96 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scared of flying anyone??

Totally know how you feel!but spare a thought for me we have a 10 hr flight to get to cancun!!!however i just grin and bare it,

Hartford...
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scared of flying anyone??

Terrance stole my idea, lol... My wife gets a few xanax just for flights, most doctors will give you a couple of pills if you tell them you are scared to fly.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,881 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scared of flying anyone??

Chilli pilli jenny.

Forget about that stuff. Focus on living today. There to many things that can go wrong today. Focus on what u can control, not what u cant. Think about happy things and smile about what u have been blessed with. Lifes to short to dwell on what ifs.

Edited: 20 March 2014, 15:57
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
764 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scared of flying anyone??

Yea I am scared of take off and landing too. I try to get to their airport early and get used to everything, and relax. I feel like if I get there last minute I'll feel rushed and have even more anxiety. But I always sit by the window so I can see outside and I have a death grip on my husband's hand!

Poughkeepsie, NY
Level Contributor
527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scared of flying anyone??

Personally I am more scared of the sky high airfare prices. I was looking at Xmas prices, and they are unreal - mostly a grand and above for JFK - CUN. I don't want to buy the plane, I just want to get to Cancun! And get this - there are no non stops to CUN from MCO that can be found - I could swim there faster. Wife is afraid of flying - I just pretend she isn't there ( until landing ). In fact I get the white knuckles, from wife's death grip on my hands.

Edited: 20 March 2014, 16:04
ireland
Level Contributor
287 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scared of flying anyone??

Yes feeling gbe same especially with Malaysia flight as I too be flying from Dublin in July so not looking forward to the flight . I think it does get worse every time I fly

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,881 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scared of flying anyone??

terrance you must have 9 lives

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,505 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scared of flying anyone??

<Chilli pilli jenny.

Forget about that stuff. Focus on living today. There to many things that can go wrong today. Focus on what u can control, not what u cant. Think about happy things and smile about what u have been blessed with. Lifes to short to dwell on what ifs.>

For people with specific phobias, like Jenny's flying phobia, they wish that the solution were something as simple as forgetting bad stuff and thinking about good stuff. Unfortunately, telling people who are panicky, a horribly uncomfortable combination of intrusive frightening thoughts and an uncontrollable physiological response, some form of that they should just relax will serve only to make them more anxious, plus ashamed and self-conscious. People with phobias know that their fears are out of proportion to any real danger. They still can't help them and that is uncomfortably painful.

Jenny, there was another recent thread on this topic if you do a search. Untreated flying phobias do worsen over time. There is really good, evidence-based, and easy treatment for fear of flying. You need to find a cognitive-behavior therapist trained in exposure therapy to treat flying phobias. It is a brief treatment, sometimes only a few sessions, can increase your sense of control enormously, and will help with the feelings of anticipatory dread in the days, weeks, and months before a flight and mid-vacation before your return flight as well--unlike pills and alcohol. Best of luck!

Edited: 20 March 2014, 19:16