We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scared of flying anyone??

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,188 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Scared of flying anyone??

I have always been terrified to fly, but since 911 and these recent flight stories it's even worse! I have never let it stop me from flying at least once a year, but would like to bind with others who are scared like I am.....of course I know the statistics, it's just the lack if control that has me completely crippled with fear the entire 4 hours it takes to get to cancun.....it's gotten worse with age I think......each bit of turbulence and I'm sweating. Can anyone relate to me???

Less than three months to Paradisus and I want to be excited. Not so scared!

Jenny

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Scared of flying anyone??

That's a guy thing, I was staying on a hotel in the states once with a bunch of colleagues for a meeting. The fire alarm went off at about four in the morning, me and the one other female dragged our backsides out the hotel, every single one of the men stayed in bed,....not one of them to be seen as we met up outside and looked around us,

Their rationale? "Well, if it was serious they would have knocked on the door". I'm not kidding. Not one of the men left their room.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Scared of flying anyone??

Just wave a pizza under our noses,we'll follow anywhere!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Scared of flying anyone??

Lol, yes, maybe along with the ringing they should pipe pizza smell throughout the hotel...:-))

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,188 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Scared of flying anyone??

So true about men! My dad is the same way, he was with us on that trip and didnt get up either....If I ever think an intruder is in the house I could have chased him away by the time my husband starts to sit up in bed....

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Scared of flying anyone??

Just think of it as a bus with wings, I find that my travelling companion Jack Daniels comforts me and I concentrate on where I am going to not what I am actually doing.

London, United...
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
36. Re: Scared of flying anyone??

I'm more worried about driving! Since that plane disappearance, more people have probably died in car accidents in each and every one of your countries!

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
944 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Scared of flying anyone??

Fellow scardey cat here.

I fly 2 or 3 times a year and will never be comfortable with flying.

We are flying to KL on Malaysia Airlines next week and due to the unfortunate recent events that's fuelled my anxiety even more than usual (I think I would feel the same whichever airline we were going on to be honest)

I had got to the point where I chilled out a bit before hand and really only worried about it when we got to the airport, this has had me a little rattled since the news broke a couple of weeks back, I will handle it though.

I am determined not to let it spoil my holiday, my flying anxieties wont get the better of me. Yep I might cry before we get on, I might not sleep for 2 nights before we go but I will get on that flight and think about the amazing trip we are going to have.

We flew on Malaysia last year and had a good experience with them, deep down I know we will most likely have a pleasant journey with them again this time....we have 4 flights in total with them.

I am so glad my fear of flying hasn't got the better of me & stopped me flying (I know many people just wont fly) when I think of the great times we have had on our holidays I am so glad I will do it !

australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Scared of flying anyone??

My husband is terrified of flying. First sign of turbulence and his face goes white and you can see the anxiety. I quite enjoy a bit of bumpy flying and my way of thinking "che sera, sera; whatever will be, will be".

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Scared of flying anyone??

I'm not a fan of bumpy flying to be honest, but I just don't think about it.

I think one of the keys to not being afraid is not thinking about it, occupying your mind fully with something else.

I told the story before how I once had the misfortune to sit next to someone, a total stranger, who was terrified if flying, by the end of the flight, they had started to seriously scare me too, and it lasted a few flights afterwards as well, untill I remembered not to think about it ( or the memory faded) . Never been scared before or after, but you spend an extended period of time listening to someone and trying to calm them down and after awhile you start to think,,," blimey, maybe they have a point" .

So, easier said than done, but if you can plan to fully occupy your mind on other things, it could help.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
15,579 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Scared of flying anyone??

I wonder how many people actually enjoy flying? IMHO there is not a lot to enjoy and I hate it but like others have said, it doesn't stop me and I have flown over 500,000 miles in the last 18 years. I am always petrified during turbulence and have been known to sit there quietly sobbing while DH just looks on bewildered! I often tell the cabin crew that I am scared of flying when we board a plane and they are pretty good at checking on me a few times during the flight to make sure I am ok.

I am a lot better now than I used to be when I was younger as we had to cancel a family holiday one year when I decided there was no way I could get on a plane and it wasn't until I did my first long haul flight with a friend who worked for an airline (and talked me through the whole flight), that I started to get a bit better.