We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA - Econmy Plus seating....... is it worth it?

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
BA - Econmy Plus seating....... is it worth it?

We are due to fly from Heathrow to San Fransisco with BA. As it's an 11hr flight we are considering upgrading from ecomony to economy plus seating. However, the cost of this upgrade is expensive, so I wanted some advice from anyone who has used both types of seating and the overall experience, and was it worth the extra. I think we will be on a 747 aircraft.

Any help appreicated.

Thanks

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,282 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA - Econmy Plus seating....... is it worth it?

I don't think BA economy plus is as good as some others (JAL for example) but for me, for a flight that length I would probably take Economy plus but YMMV, it is a very individual decision.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA - Econmy Plus seating....... is it worth it?

I definitely think it's worth it, but I'm tall, particularly phobic about being stuck in close proximity to strangers for 11 hours and not particularly budget conscious. So I would much rather spend £1000 and be fairly comfortable than £600 and be miserable. But you need to be realistic and bear in mind that it's economy plus, not business minus. You're really paying for some extra legroom, a bit of extra width, and a smaller, quieter cabin. If the extra £400 or whatever you're looking at will prey on your mind or really cramp your style in SF, it's probably not the right thing to do.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA - Econmy Plus seating....... is it worth it?

It's difficult for anyone to say if it's worth it to you personally. For me, for that length of flight, yes, without a moments hesitation. For others, no, they would rather economy and not pay the extra. It's a personal decision as others have stated,

Bromsgrove, United...
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA - Econmy Plus seating....... is it worth it?

Dawny - I think Lizzie nails it really, I have done WT+ a few times and I like it. We do however pay extra to reserve our seats in the window/aisle bits.

The configuration of the seats is important - I would not for example want to be in the 4 bit of a 2-4-2 configuration as it wouldn't feel a premium economy experience.

We have been on several BA 777's to the caribbean, where the WT+ cabin is about 30 or so passengers in their own quiet cabin.

I am lead to believe that the WT+ menu is better this year in so much as you get a choice ( or rather whats left over) from Club World main meals which is an improvement.(This may be on certain routes though)

We go WT+ to Barbados in November.

For us we factor the cost into our holiday budget and will only travel in Premium Economy for any flight over 4 hours.

We once did Emirates business class to New Zealand - that was in a different league altogether...I still remember the stewardess saying 'Mr C, your lobster is served'

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,479 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA - Econmy Plus seating....... is it worth it?

I prefer exit rows in Economy (for the legroom) to WTP where I find the lack of legroom despite the claims, lacking but exit rows can be hard to get and they are near the loos and can be draughty (which I again prefer as I find cabins mostly far too warm). So for a night flight I'd try and get exit row Economy and for a day flight WTP as at least it's a smaller and usually quieter cabin.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,470 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA - Econmy Plus seating....... is it worth it?

Hard to even give a personal opinion since you don't say how much you are asked to pay for the upgrade! The biggest advantage for me is that it allows you to upgrade to Club World for a (relatively) small amount of Avios.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,149 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA - Econmy Plus seating....... is it worth it?

Great product, and value for money is second to none - as long as you aren't comparing it to others like QF E+ (which is considerably more expensive anyways). If you go in there with WT plus expectations, and not CW minus, you're going to love it. And sometimes, you do get CW catering, which is simply a bonus. One of my favourite products SYD-SIN

Echoing others thoughts, it's entirely ones own decision, but I personally wouldn't hesitate.

Edited: 21 March 2014, 13:55
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,356 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA - Econmy Plus seating....... is it worth it?

It's difficult for anyone to say if it's worth it to you personally. For me, for that length of flight, yes, without a moments hesitation. For others, no, they would rather economy and not pay the extra. It's a personal decision as others have stated,

-------------

Yes, yes, a thousand times, yes! I don't know why people don't consider this when asking such questions. Seems blindingly obvious to me!

uk
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA - Econmy Plus seating....... is it worth it?

wrong forum

Edited: 21 March 2014, 14:06
Florida, USA
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: BA - Econmy Plus seating....... is it worth it?

We use the Economy plus seating all the time! It doesn't matter whether we fly international or just a hop across the country, that extra few inches of legroom is worth every penny you pay for it, plus you can recline your seat further in economy plus. We have never been sorry that we made that decision.