We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta airlines charged twice

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Delta airlines charged twice

Hi

This is the first time I directly booked ticket on delta.com from LAX to MCO. The entire reservation process was very smooth. After exactly a week, my debit card was charged again. I called the bank and they said that they will initiate an investigation. I called up the airline too and they dont see additional charges on the same debit card besides the ticket that I have bought. I need to book another flight now but thinking against delta airlines if this is their usual practice. Wondering if anyone has faced any situation like this ? If so, please advice how to deal with it.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
38,657 posts
1,078 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Delta airlines charged twice

Nozzle,

While there might well be places in the US, that only accept Debit Cards, I have never encountered such, and we travel to some really obscure spots. Now, we HAVE encountered a few places (in the US), that ONLY accept cash, and a very few more, that will accept a personal check, even out-of-state, but those are rather the exception, and are not the norm.

However, and fast-forward to places outside the US, I can imagine some merchants wanting Debit Cards, but have also not encountered them. My various, US bank issued Credit Cards, have worked around the globe.

Before many went to the Chip&Pin, we DID have to instruct the server that they needed to "swipe," and not just insert the card, as is common with much of Western Europe. When those instructions were followed, our Credit Cards worked 100%.

Just have never encountered a Debit Card, but no Credit Card situation, anywhere, and especially in the US.

You must have hit the odd exceptions, all in one fell swoop?

Just my observations,

Hunt

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Delta airlines charged twice

>>Since we don't have a debit card - made things quite sticky for us.<<

I have to be honest, i am quite surprised about that, I've never actually met anyone who has a credit card but not a debit card. Genuinely, I thought it was pretty much the norm to have e debit card for your bank account.

Edited: 23 March 2014, 06:36
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,577 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Delta airlines charged twice

We have cards that we can withdraw cash with from ATMs - but that is not the same as a debit card.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Delta airlines charged twice

Maybe it's an australian thing? You can withdraw cash from an ATM on a credit card.

What cards do you withdraw cash with, that is not a credit or debit card? Genuinely curious, this is a new one on me.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,577 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Delta airlines charged twice

We can use our banks ATM cards for EFTPOS in Australia (so have never needed a debit card - they are 2 different things ). They also attract quite large fees if we use them outside of Aus for withdrawals .

Up til now I have had a Mastercard which I could load with cash and withdraw from ATMS or use as a CC anywhere in the world without fees but the company (GE money ) has now introduced fees for cash withdrawals - so for our next trip I will be getting a fee free debit card from another bank.

Edited: 23 March 2014, 07:08
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Delta airlines charged twice

Thanks nozzie, interesting way to do it really.

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Delta airlines charged twice

If you clicked "submit" more than once thinking confirmation/approval was slow, then there's your double charge. Not with Delta, but I learned this the hard way on another site.

28. Re: Delta airlines charged twice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 March 2014, 01:05
Edited: 24 March 2014, 01:05
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,818 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Delta airlines charged twice

Our bank ATM cards used to be only cards for use to withdraw from the ATMs and were not also debit cards. Many years ago the banks changed that so now all the bank "ATM"cards are also debit cards. Most have extra fees for withdrawing from foreign ATMs but we not have a special account that allows free withdrawals twice a month from any ATM anywhere in the world. I think that banks are coming up with all sorts of special accounts for people and the more money you have at that particular bank , then the more perks you will get for leaving your money with them.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Delta airlines charged twice

Same as Nozzie - I've had an EFTPOS card since 1987 but only in the last couple of years have acquired debit cards - and that's primarily for travel (EFTPOS fees are high for overseas use).

It's a shame actually because EFTPOS cards effectively had low or no fees to retailers while debit cards end up costing the retailer about the same as credit cards ie 5%+

So you still need to sign for credit/debit card use in the US - or is it swipe with pin used? Here we are moving to the new cards where you just wave the card in the vicinity of the reader for small transaction. If I need to practice my signature for my upcoming US trip I need to know!