We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta airlines charged twice

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Delta airlines charged twice

Hi

This is the first time I directly booked ticket on delta.com from LAX to MCO. The entire reservation process was very smooth. After exactly a week, my debit card was charged again. I called the bank and they said that they will initiate an investigation. I called up the airline too and they dont see additional charges on the same debit card besides the ticket that I have bought. I need to book another flight now but thinking against delta airlines if this is their usual practice. Wondering if anyone has faced any situation like this ? If so, please advice how to deal with it.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Delta airlines charged twice

Today bank credited back the amount :) as some of you told, it was a hold from the bank side and no fault on Airline.

I will also stick to credit card from now on :)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,655 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Delta airlines charged twice

"So you still need to sign for credit/debit card use in the US - or is it swipe with pin used?"

Unfortunately you still need to sign. I'm not sure why the US has been so slow to adopt EMV (i.e. "Chip and PIN") cards. You'd think that with so many people using debit cards, it would be a pretty easy to transition to EMV, but for some reason it has not caught on here.

-JimG

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,231 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Delta airlines charged twice

You can get chip and signature cards and there are a few chip and pin cards, but I've never seen anywhere use anything but swiping technology. I think some of the new readers have the slot for chip cards, but I don't think anywhere is using them yet.

When I only had a savings account at USAA, they would only give me an ATM card (no MC/Visa logo so couldn't be used as debit in stores). I had to open an attached checking account to get an ATM card. I'm not sure other countries do the linked bank account thing, judging from the fact that you don't choose what acct you're withdrawing from in Europe. (I've never been to Australia.) Maybe that's why they have atm cards that aren't debit cards?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Delta airlines charged twice

Trajet, that's excellent news, thanks for updating.

>> I'm not sure other countries do the linked bank account thing, judging from the fact that you don't choose what acct you're withdrawing from in Europe<<

I have no understanding of what that means, I have a seperate debit card for each of my accounts and can pick exactly which account I withdraw from. On top of this on my Belgian accounts ( I have both uk and Belgian bank accounts) I can also enter one card and pick which of the accounts I withdraw from as the first step at the atm, which I can't for my British accounts, I need to use the card which directly correlates to the account I wish to withdraw from.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,231 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Delta airlines charged twice

My bank account here has a checking and a savings account which use the same debit card. If I use it as a debit card in a store, the money comes out of the checking account. If I use it at an ATM, an option comes up to pick which account I want to withdraw from or deposit to. (I can't remember what checking and savings accounts are called in the UK - I know they don't use the same terminology. Savings accounts don't have checks and get more interest.)

I've never been to Belgium, but when I used my ATM card in the UK, France, Italy, Germany, and the Netherlands the money automatically came out of my checking account. There was no option to choose which account I wanted to withdraw from.

NYC
Level Contributor
144 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Delta airlines charged twice

The U.S. has been slow to adopt EMV because there are significant costs involved in the switch, and until recently cc fraud was not a major problem in the U.S. As other countries have switched over to EMV and made fraud harder to pull off, cc fraud has grown here. Most U.S. issuers will switch by Oct. 2015, when a new scheme will allocate liability for fraud between the merchant and the card issuer to whichever party has failed to adopt EMV (if either).

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Delta airlines charged twice

Ok, I understand you, you are saying if you use your American bank account card in Europe you have no. Choice on which account.

in Europe that's not how it works if you have a eu account, your bank card is for your current account ( checking account) when you pay for purchases. There is anomalies but that's basically the rule. You don't have one card for two accounts. It's one card, one account. For Belgium and uk at least. I can't speak for other countries.

In the uk you can only use your debit card for the account it's linked to, it's pretty much an automatic given when you have a current account, you get a debit card for that account only.

In Belgium I can wifhdrAw from either account at an ATM but any purchases are always from my checking account.

However, and this is a big over rider, the company I work for has an agreement with the major bank here, who automatically set up accounts for all it's expats and manage their finances, so my deal on being able to pick which account I withdraw from with one card at the atm, may be unique ( I don't know) , as the cards are actually linked to the current account only.

I do know in the uk, it is normal and it's one account,,,,one card,,,:-))

Chonburi, Thailand
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Delta airlines charged twice

This just happened to me in Thailand, exactly the same story. The bank was very unhelpful and told me there was nothing they could do. They wouldn't give me any details of the second transaction. The second transaction was made through a third party merchant for Delta.

Delta was very helpful but so far have not resolved the issue. They did tell me that there have been issues when they are processing transactions in a different currency because a third party is involved.

My credit card is now in serious debt and it is on hold until this second payment is cancelled. Which takes 11 working days , so over two weeks. Others comments would seem to suggest that we are falsely accusing Delta of being fraudulent. How would you feel if your full credit details were used by a third party for a large transaction? I am accusing Delta of letting a third party have full access to my credit card details for a very large amount of money without my knowledge. I feel this transaction will not be claimed and I will be credited the money back but my credit card is trashed right now and so with it all my automatic monthly payments.

For all of you that trust Delta please beware .

Salt Lake City, Utah
1 post
Save Reply
39. Re: Delta airlines charged twice

Delta charged my FOUR times for a flight on my credit card. How does that happen?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,818 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Delta airlines charged twice

Nobody here will be able to tell you.

Suggest to call Delta and then you credit card company.