We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

easyJet, thanks for the memory

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,567 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
easyJet, thanks for the memory

After all the negative reviews, here is a glowing one.

Left for Sharm El Sheik March 11th on a brand spanking new easyJet plane, very sleek, booked extra legroom and was very comfortable, a bit of a technical difficulty before taking off that caused an hours delay but plenty of apologies so just went with the flow - not much else we could do in all honesty. No bumping passengers off and cabin crew very attentive and quick with trolly duty.

Left Sharm for Stansted 18th March, brand new aircraft again and this time an early take off, again had booked seats with extra legroom so again very comfortable, cabin crew a dream, pilot slightly camp and kept us all chuckling, trollies made good time up the aisles so nobody kept waiting too long for refreshments, even got a free chocolate bar and arrived back in Stansted early enough not to be too irritated by the long queues at passport control.

Well done easyJet, have flown with you before and will fly with you again.

No grumping from this grumpy old git on this occasion.

Edited: 21 March 2014, 18:42
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: easyJet, thanks for the memory

Nice to see a sane and well written, positive post,,,,:-))

London, England
Level Contributor
8,521 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: easyJet, thanks for the memory

I have travelled with Easyjet loads of times and always found them fine. In Fact, our next flight booked is with them.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: easyJet, thanks for the memory

My mates have just used U2 to watch the rugby in Rome.

Very pleased with it they were ( sorry yoda).

We are using them to go to TLV for my stag.

They are the Premier Inn of the airlines ( Ryanair are the travelodge).

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,567 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: easyJet, thanks for the memory

To be honest have had little cause for complaint with Ryanair either, the airline does what it says on the tin, and if you abide by the regs you get from 'a' to 'b' for knock down prices, it is the 'abiding by the regs' bit that most passengers lose sight of, launching their own petty little wars with O' Leary by flouting the regs then getting cheesed off when staff haul them up about it, because as we all know nobody is going to get one over on O'Leary, he is in the business of running a large multi-million corporation the same as thousands of other O'Learys and couldn't care less if Joe from Wigan decides to try and fool cabin crew by taking a slightly larger piece of hand luggage, though if he wanted to he could make travelling with Ryanair a whole lot more comfortable and bump up the fares to reflect this, we should be careful what we wish for.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,521 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: easyJet, thanks for the memory

You knocked the nail on the head, monroeessex. Have flown lots of times with Ryanair and never had any problem at all. Also, STN is our most convenient airport, so don't want them to start putting up prices.

romford
Level Contributor
4,462 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: easyJet, thanks for the memory

Hi,

Stansted is also our nearest airport, and having flown with EJ from STN-Sharm for the first time last Nov, I wouldn't have any issues flying with them again. We booked extra legroom 1 D & E, cabin crew were very attentive and friendly, and if flying short/mid haul in the future would certinally book them again over Thomson or TC.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
11,771 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: easyJet, thanks for the memory

I have flower Easy Jet &'Ryan Air many times & never had one problem with them, .. Both good LCA IMO,

Kabul, Afghanistan
Level Contributor
172 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: easyJet, thanks for the memory

It's a good review. Thanks for doing.

Until I ended up in a legal tussle with Monarch, I don't think I realised that the differences between reliability stats on the same route between different airlines is considerable. Easyjet are really good, which I assume is partly because they have newer planes and a bigger fleet to draw on when things go wrong. Monarch on the other hand ...

Here's a quote from my submission to the court:

"23. The Claimant’s specific delay on the 8th April comes in the context of a generally poor punctuality performance by Monarch Airlines in 2012. On the Gatwick-Sharm El Sheikh route, for example, the CAA’s punctuality statistics (document 10) attest that less than 64% of Monarch Airlines’ flights departed within 15 minutes of their scheduled time compared to over 83% of easyJet’s flights. Over 18% of Monarch’s flights were delayed by an hour or more on this route; just 2% of easyJet’s flights were similarly delayed. The age of Monarch Airline’s fleet makes ensuring the maintenance and punctuality of their fleet particularly challenging."

In 2012, according to the CAA, you had more than a 4% chance of being delayed over three hours with a Monarch flight to Sharm; it was less than 0.3% with easyJet. That is statistically quite significant, I reckon.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,638 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: easyJet, thanks for the memory

Hi,

"In 2012, according to the CAA, you had more than a 4% chance of being delayed over three hours with a Monarch flight to Sharm; it was less than 0.3% with easyJet. That is statistically quite significant, I reckon."

==> that's a very very large percentage increase...

That said, I also think it's fair to say that even with the larger 4% delay rate -- that still does imply that 96% of the flights weren't late.

To me 96% is still a very large percentage and would say that even though the other carriers rate is far, far less (4% to less than 1%) the overall reality is that with either carrier - its a low odds probability.

Travel Safe,

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,989 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: easyJet, thanks for the memory

The easyJet (and Ryanair) operating model gives them advantages, which they use to keep delay figures so low. Nearly all the planes return to their starting point again by midnight or soon after, and have several hours on the ground for small faults to be fixed. The Monarch/Thomas Cook/Thomson model not only uses older planes, but schedules them for 24 hour use, and only faults that can be cleared within a one-hour turnround can be fixed between flights. They have a maintenance day, or half day, each week when the accumulated small problems are fixed. Obviously anything safety-critical has to be fixed at once, but the minor faults left for a few days can turn into major ones.

I've been flying easyJet ever since they started and only once had a maintenance-related delay. Even then their response was spectacular - chartered in a plane from another company rather than wait for theirs to be fixed, and offered free refreshments on board. This was in pre-EC261 days.