We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson taking £1000 charge to add kids to holiday! Help!!

London, United...
3 posts
Thomson taking £1000 charge to add kids to holiday! Help!!

Hi all, my husband and I are booked to go away in April with Thomson. Initially the kids weren't coming but things have changed and we need to add them on to the holiday.

Booking a new holiday for all of us is £3500. However Thomson wants £4520 to add them on and won't let us cancel and re-book.

Is there anything we can do or do we have to pay this extortionate charge?!?!

Hoping someone can help me :-(

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Thomson taking £1000 charge to add kids to holiday! Help!!

I don't really understand,,,is the 3, 500 price the exact same holiday,,,or are you trying to cancel and rebook a cheaper holiday?

London, United...
3 posts
2. Re: Thomson taking £1000 charge to add kids to holiday! Help!!

Exactly the same holiday just with the kids added. To book it on the website it's £3500 but because we have an existing holiday and want to add the kids they want £1000 on top to make the change!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: Thomson taking £1000 charge to add kids to holiday! Help!!

Hmm. Is the holiday now discounted...so your own price would be cheaper now as it's so close to date?

Bottom line is the terms of the contract will apply. Maybe you can negotiate some form of reduction with them?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,412 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Thomson taking £1000 charge to add kids to holiday! Help!!

How old are the kids? Can they be booked on a holiday separately or travel to your destination on their own?

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,853 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Thomson taking £1000 charge to add kids to holiday! Help!!

Makes sense to mne. You're trying to change the package and like anything else, there's change fees involved. As far as canceling the package and rebooking is concerned, read the T&C's of the contract you signed when you booked the package.

London, United...
3 posts
6. Re: Thomson taking £1000 charge to add kids to holiday! Help!!

The holiday fee is coming up the same as it was before so it hasn't reduced. I totally expected a fee to be charged but £1000 is extortionate especially when they are making more Money from the additional people! It's not like we

Are reducing numbers :-(

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
7. Re: Thomson taking £1000 charge to add kids to holiday! Help!!

Ah,,ok I think I understand,

>>Booking a new holiday for all of us is £3500. However Thomson wants £4520 to add them on and won't let us cancel and re-book.<<

Thomson don't want 4520 to add them on, that's the total holiday cost? Inc in that is 1k change fee. Is this right, and that is the difference in the two prices? Without the change fee it would be 3500 if you booked from scratch,

Well, the contract applies. If they won't reduce it, which they don't have to, then you have to pay the money or not take the kids. Harsh I know, but if that's the contract that's the contract.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,767 posts
64 reviews
8. Re: Thomson taking £1000 charge to add kids to holiday! Help!!

I expect you are booking a Thomson Holiday Travel package, with flights, hotels and perhaps even a car rental.

I see on the T&C pages of Thomson that there is a chart of amendment fees and a chart of cancellation fees, depending on the circumstances. The penalty will be calculated from that, and per person. There may be several third party businesses involved in your holiday package which adds to the mix. Thomson is not fabricating anything, they are simply following their published and very linkable T&Cs in their website.

I would think you have a couple of choices. Cancel your trip at a high cost to you, depending on how many days you are out from your departure date. Pay the cost and add the kids. Have the kids join you on the next holiday.

Edited: 23 March 2014, 21:31