We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which airlines best from Washington DC or New York to Delhi?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
22 posts
180 reviews
Save Topic
Which airlines best from Washington DC or New York to Delhi?

We are planning to travel to India next February and have a number of options since we live in Baltimore and can use any of the DC airports, Philadelphia, or even New York. Our options appear to include Emirates, Qatar, United, Lufthansa, Air Swiss, Air France, Air India (and more). Rather than general reviews of these airlines (of which many are already available), I am very interested to hear about recent experiences on this route. What airline did you take to India, from what departing airport, and would you recommend that airline to another traveler? We can only afford economy or economy plus on any of these airlines.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which airlines best from Washington DC or New York to Delhi?

Air India offer the route direct, always a bonus, and after flying them London - Mumbai I can tell you that they're a perfectly bearable airline. Ontime, staff were fine, food was alright, seats were alright.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,731 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which airlines best from Washington DC or New York to Delhi?

Air India and United fly from New York or Newark to both Delhi and Mumbai non-stop.

You haven't mentioned which class of service, but ....

I fly to India 2-3 times a year and I use United, usually in Economy Plus but I've struck lucky with an upgrade a couple of times. The flights are on an ex-Continental 777 which provides a much better business class product than the ex-UA 777s. Economy is also very good with full AVOD throughout and the Y seating 3-3-3 (some airlines, notably Emirates have gone to 3-4-3 on the 777 which is a squeeze). United also has Economy Plus which is 3-4" extra legroom for about $150 extra each way. Food is standard airline food, though I find the Indian vegetarian offering to be consistently good and better than the western entree.

The other big benefit of flying United and Air India is that, with no change required in Europe, you get there in the afternoon (AI) or mid evening around 9pm (UA). Going via Europe or the Middle East usually results in a stupid o'clock arrival time in the early hours.

3. Re: Which airlines best from Washington DC or New York to Delhi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2015, 05:16