We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this too tight time-wise?

North east england
Level Contributor
715 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Is this too tight time-wise?

We have a USA holiday booked for September - our flights are as follows:

London Heathrow to San Francisco VS19 - Depart 13.00pm

1st question - We need to fly from Newcastle to Heathrow to get this flight - should I book the flight that arrives at 07.20am or 10.20am?

Coming Home:

Las Vegas to London Gatwick VS44 - arrives 10.30am

Need to get across to Heathrow (as no Gatwick to Newcastle flights this day :( gggrrr at Easyjet) I will book a private car to do the inbetween journey (have done it before) will this leave enough time for the Heathrow flight back to Newcastle at 13.20pm? Next flight is 18.20pm which means being stuck in airport for hours!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this too tight time-wise?

You need to book the 7.20 arrival and the 18.20, because delays happen and no one, but no one, can predict what the m25 is going to be like at any given time or day.

If you are on one ticket, you can take the risk, if you miss the flight the airline is responsible for getting you on the next one with available seats,,,which is not always the next one,,,,or the next day,,,,so if you want to make it, give yourself some leeway,

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this too tight time-wise?

Or hire a car and drive it,,,or take the coach or train,

North east england
Level Contributor
715 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this too tight time-wise?

I don't really want to be driving 5-6hours after a 9 hour night flight, didnt really think it was a good idea, option of the train could be a thought......We won't be on one ticket as international flights are with Virgin and domestic flights are with BA, I did think it maybe tight.....but wasn't sure.....

I really wish Easyjet would make their Newcastle flights more accessible, or even better for Richard Branson to get the Little Reds to run to Newcastle!!!

I never seem to be able to Domestic flights between London and Newcastle to work well with my flight schedules!!! lol

Edited: 24 March 2014, 15:35
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this too tight time-wise?

Ok, not on one ticket makes a world of difference. That's a big old risk. 7.20 definitely or head down the night before. If something goes wrong and you miss you are not protected and you need to pay for a walk up fare. No biggie coming back,,but a biggie going out. Especially if no seats for a few days,

Also check your travel insurance to see if you are covered for missed connections. Many policies don't and many don't unless there is a time in between ie six hours or so,

Personally, with that sort of early rise, I would head down the night before and stay at a local hotel. Check in opens at 10. 00 am for the JFK flight so not like a big wait.

Train it back up.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,836 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this too tight time-wise?

Nufc165,

What you are tying to do here is "connect" on separate tickets (it's not a true connection btw) and this can be very risky.

On separate tickets, you don’t have any protection against a delay on the inbound flight, because there are two separate contracts. And as such, you have to present yourself on time at Heathrow for check in, bag drop and boarding for the Virgin flight on the other ticket. You are carrying ALL the risk of not making those deadlines, and if you do miss them for any reason (including a delay on the inbound flight) you‘d be classed as a no show. And unless you have the most expensive fully flexible ticket, your ticket will be canceled. Not only will you miss the flight, but you would have to buy a new ticket to Vegas at the walk-up fare, and that will make your eyes water.

Also, if there is a schedule change on either ticket that means you don’t have enough time to change flights, you would be on your own and have to change at least one of the flights yourself.

In this case, with a transatlantic ticket at risk I would be looking for much more **contingency** (back up plans if something went wrong). And if I were doing this I would travel down to London the day/evening before and overnight there. You could then look at taking the train from Newcastle to Kings Cross, and then heading to LHR on the Piccadilly line the next morning. You may well be able to get cheap advance fares for Newcastle-Kings Cross on http://www.eastcoast.co.uk (they are made available 12 weeks before travel). Then for the return you could take the train direct from Gatwick to St. Pancras, walk next door to Kings Cross and train home.

With non-refundable train tickets you would still face the possibility of missing the train on the return and losing the ticket back to Newcastle. But at least you'd be in your home country and there would be options other than having to buy a walk up air ticket. Some decent travel insurance that covers "missed onward travel" should cover you for that eventuality, as long as you allow the minimum time between the inbound flight and departing train from KGX.

Good luck.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this too tight time-wise?

I would definitely go down the night before. takes all the pressure off and means you can have a nice late start the next morning if out by the airport, or a night in London if you stay near Kings X..

So +1 post above from USBT

Edited: 24 March 2014, 16:08
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this too tight time-wise?

I doubt there will be many experienced flyers who would take this risk. For me, as said, I would also go the night before. Separate tickets would make be break out in a cold sweat.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
58,605 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this too tight time-wise?

Definitely take the train and travel down the night before.Unless you live next door to Newcastle Airport or are travelling on a through ticket I can't imagine how the plane beats the train for this sort of journey.

North east england
Level Contributor
715 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this too tight time-wise?

It wasn't posssible to book this trip all on one ticket as we are flying with Virgin, and they do not fly from Newcastle Airport.

Ok, we have decided to fly down the night before our flight out to USA, that eases the problems going out (not a problem - we did this last time we went - and does mean we can have a relaxing night and morning of our flight).

Coming home, its looking more likely that we will have to consider the Train, (only other flights available are 19.10pm from Gatwick or 18.30pm from Heathrow - either one would mean sitting in airport for a very long day)....

I'm very nervous about using the train as we haven't traveled by train before and are not familiar with the train stations / connections etc, and after a 9 hour night flight, my head will probably be quite muddled lol

How straight forward is the train journey? (to a complete train novice) Gatwick Airport back to Newcastle

Thank you all for your help.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,781 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this too tight time-wise?

Take the train from Gatwick to Victoria, then either the Victoria line tube or a cab to Kings Cross