We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tuesdays still the best day to buy?

Illinois
Level Contributor
221 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tuesdays still the best day to buy?

2 weeks ago I purchased 4 RT tickets, nonstop on Airtran, from MKE to CUN for June 7-14 at the price of $539/ea. My daughter wants to join us so I would like to purchase a ticket for her on the same flights. The RT fare is now $775.00! Each time I check I have been clearing my cookies before hand.

Is Tuesday/Wednesdays still the best day(s) to buy? Or am I stuck with either the high fare or possibly her taking another airline (all with stops=all day travel) most likely out of ORD due to comparable flight times, meaning we would drive her to ORD and then book it up to MKE for our flight out.

Any chance the cost will come down?

TIA

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tuesdays still the best day to buy?

As oldies guy said, it's not the best day to buy, or everyone would only buy on a tues. The airlines also have heard this old wives tale about tues, so they obviously are not going to drop their pricing on the day people want to buy.

However it is the cheapest day to fly on average , along with a Wednesday.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,994 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Tuesdays still the best day to buy?

We'll its now a Tuesday. So is it cheaper compared with yesterday, a Monday?

Please let us know.

Germany
Level Contributor
559 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tuesdays still the best day to buy?

Well, I happened to buy tickets yesterday and I just checked the prices again today using both the computer I used for buying the tickets and a different computer just because this thread made me curios - prices are exactly the same (on the cent).

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,805 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Tuesdays still the best day to buy?

Airfare Watchdogs "12 tips for finding low airfares" touches on your question...

http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blog/17937944/12-tips-for-finding-low-airfares-2014-edition/?source=45568&value=2014-03-23+00%3A00%3A00&u=A7B055D902&nltv=141579_c&nl_cs=17986550%3A%3A%3A%3A17937996%3A%3A141579_c

Edited: 25 March 2014, 11:38
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Tuesdays still the best day to buy?

Each time I check I have been clearing my cookies before hand.

-----

No no no that doesn't work any more, you need to completely reinstall Windows each time, and if that doesn't work, buy a new computer and use it at someone else's house.

Edited: 25 March 2014, 13:53
Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Tuesdays still the best day to buy?

Some great info there, hawkeyetough - thanks for sharing!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
17,545 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Tuesdays still the best day to buy?

Haha nice one Joe! I'll bear that in mind when I'm next searching for flights. ;-)

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,533 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Tuesdays still the best day to buy?

^^^^^ Love it joeintheuk - then click your heels and state "there's no place like home" three times. :)

Edited: 25 March 2014, 15:11
California
Level Contributor
660 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Tuesdays still the best day to buy?

Okay I actually checked my prices for my trip and YES they are down by $100.00 dolalrs! LOL, onto the spreadsheet it goes!

Illinois
Level Contributor
221 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Tuesdays still the best day to buy?

Tuesday myth debunked! Prices are still the same....darn. But I might try the click your heals thing.....