We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

codeshares or not?

Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
codeshares or not?

Booking a flight with delta in buisness class there using codeshare airfrance for one leg & alitalia to return.

Is it best to book directly with the airline ? Or is doing it through delta ok?

Also if you purchase buisness class will the seats you pick be guarenteed on the codeshare?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: codeshares or not?

Seats are never guaranteed.

Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: codeshares or not?

Is it best to book directly with an airline? Or is codeshare thing a possible hassle?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,384 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: codeshares or not?

I would always book directly with the airline vs. third party on the internet.

Otherwise code share is a bit of a personal choice. On the upside is that you have all flights from one provider. The downside is that depending on the code share agreement some details might not work. Also code share is not equal code share. Some code share agreement are very close cooperations where even the customer service of one airline will help with problems on the code share airline. Other code share agreements are much loser only focusing on making available a large network. I am unable to comment on the code share agreement of Delta with Air France and Alitalia.

For some people key is to get from A to B on time with a decent airline. For other people the lounge experience, airport terminal, food options, IFE, preferred seat and other offers are very important as well. I suggest that if you belong to the latter then maybe code share is less for you.

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: codeshares or not?

I book on Delta's website for Air France flights to get the extra miles and have not had any problems selecting seats on the DL site. You have to get the AF PNR in order to manage your booking on the AF site, and the few times I have changed my seat on one website, it showed up immediately on the other.

I had an Alitalia flight booked with DL, but they could not assign seats, so I had to call Alitalia to get it. When I did OLCI for the Alitalia flight, it took me to the AF website, so it looks like the cooperation between the three are quite close.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
5,595 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: codeshares or not?

Well Delta, Air France and Alitalia, along with KLM, are in a joint venture for transatlantic flights, which is the stage beyond codesharing, so coordination should be really close. If the flights are within Europe, or to destinations that aren't transatlantic, then you fall back on the traditional codesharing.

Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: codeshares or not?

I tried looming on airfrance website there flights in busi ess class are much cheaper but on the return we have to connect in cdg i always hear people sayi g connecti g in cdg is horrid

But delta has non stop flights both ways a bit more expensive but saving us the hassle of making connections ive just never done the whole codeshare thing

7. Re: codeshares or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2015, 06:16