We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying with prescription & OTC medications internationally

Stamford...
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Flying with prescription & OTC medications internationally

Hi all. First time flying internationally. We will be leaving from NY and visiting Paris, Rome, and Malta. What are the rules regarding bringing medication in my carry on bag? When I travel domestically I usually use a small pill box, and don't bring the original bottles. This has never been a problem, but I assume the rules for international travel are different, especially when going through customs.

I assume it would be safest to bring the prescription medications in their original bottles? What about OTC medication like pain relievers and allergy medicines? Must those be in original bottles as well, or is it okay to just bring the small amount I will need in a pill box?

Thank you!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,285 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Flying with prescription & OTC medications internationally

Shouldn't be a problem, but in some countries OTC medications can be illegal, such as codeine in Dubai, and codeine is in things such as Panadeine.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
399 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Flying with prescription & OTC medications internationally

in the uk, codeine mixed with paracetamol ( co-codamol) is available to purchase otc. when travelling to the us, would I be able to take a pack of these with me? I understand products containing codeine are prescription only in the us?

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Flying with prescription & OTC medications internationally

Most of those border shows I've watched (they're terrible BTW) suggest that UK customs is more of a targeted system - based on intelligence and/or x-raying your hold badge on arrival they may elect to watch you and stop you if you go through the green or blue channel when they suspect you should go through the red one

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,098 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Flying with prescription & OTC medications internationally

Wherever you travel in the world it's the same rule. You take a copy of your prescription with you to prove that the medication is for your own use and you carry the meds in their original packaging preferably in your hand luggage in case your suitcase goes astray.

London
Level Contributor
717 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Flying with prescription & OTC medications internationally

" You may be just guessing that folks are being "watched" in the nothing to declare lane because I have never seen anyone stopped at all. In fact most times there is no one even there."

You're usually watched through 2-way glass and cameras and they target certain flights. The whole point of surveillance is you don't know you're being watched. ;-)

26. Re: Flying with prescription & OTC medications internationally

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2015, 05:16