We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canceling a non-refundable Delta ticket? Help!

Boston...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Canceling a non-refundable Delta ticket? Help!

So I bought a ticket on Tuesday night but then my fiance decided he wants to come with me so I was going to try canceling my non-refundable ticket. First i called Delta to see if I could change my ticket to the following day so we are on the same flight. They said I could not get a refund but I could change it and it would cost $200. I said ok and that I would do it online. So I go to delta.com and try to change my flight but I can't help clicking on the cancel button, assuming it would not go through. However I got a confirmation page stating that my itinerary had been cancelled and the full refund had been issued to the purchasing credit card and there is a confirmation number. I check my bank account and the initial purchase is still pending and is listed as authorized but my card was not actually charged yet. So I am wondering 2 things. Did I f*** up the whole thing or did I get lucky and slip through the refund/cancellation policy? I'm afraid to call Delta and ask because if it was a mistake can they go back on it? And now I am also stressing that I don't have a flight and I'm out $600!!!! Anyone know!? Thanks!

Laguna Niguel...
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Canceling a non-refundable Delta ticket? Help!

Check Delta.com for their cancellation policy. It looks like there's a 24-hour grace period where they say they'll give you a refund if you meet the conditions. If the conditions apply, it looks like you're all set.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canceling a non-refundable Delta ticket? Help!

Phone them, you have probably screwed everything up, maybe you can fix it if you call quick enough.

Boston...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Canceling a non-refundable Delta ticket? Help!

Ok I sucked it up and called and they said the refund will go back on my card within 7 days. Not sure how that worked out since it was past 24 hours but its awesome cause I thought I was going to lose out on the whole ticket cost.

Thanks!!

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Canceling a non-refundable Delta ticket? Help!

I don't know if Delta does holds for their tickets as I don't usually fly them, but if plans are that fluid with you and your fiance I suggest you do that when you rebook. United charges a small fee depending on how long you hold it for, and American does a free 24-hour hold. I have often used them when booking flights for my nephew to come home from college on breaks, or if I need to consult with someone else before pulling the trigger.

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
582 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canceling a non-refundable Delta ticket? Help!

I believe its the law in the US now that you can cancel a booking within 24 hours without charge for a full refund. Some airlines tell you this, others don't. Delta misinformed the op when she called-not a big surprise.

This law has helped me several times, most recently this month when I booked tickets to Mexico and decided the next day that I should check whether a package would be cheaper (I rarely use packages which is why I didn't think of it sooner.) The package on the same airline was $300 cheaper than booking individually, so I cancelled the flights and rebooked them as part of the package. Even got the same seats.

But I digress. To answer the op, she is not out the money.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canceling a non-refundable Delta ticket? Help!

If it was past the 24 hours and you do get your refund and it's the full amount you have been very lucky indeed.

Because the key point here is cancellable and non refundable are two very different things. You can cancel a non refundable ticket, absolutely, you just won't get a refund after the 24 hours, but you can cancel it. They just keep your money.

So if the ticket was non refundable, and it was past the 24 hours, then that's an anomaly right there. Will be interesting to see if the refund is in fact processed.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,748 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canceling a non-refundable Delta ticket? Help!

Did you cancel on Wed? IF you booked the ticket on Tuesday say at 6PM and then canceled on Wed. at 8PM the computer will not have the exact time of your booking but just the date and so Wed. would be 24hrs. after Tuesday. Let us know what happens in the end as it may just be a happy story!

8. Re: Canceling a non-refundable Delta ticket? Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2015, 05:16