We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baby on Board - Thai Airways

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
79 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Baby on Board - Thai Airways

Hello good TA's!

Flying Thai Airways in June with the missus and (then) 20 month old baby boy and have some apprehensions which I was hoping some of the experienced flyers (others are most welcome too!) here could give some suggestions on.

We're flying DEL-BKK-USM-BKK-DEL, all Business Class.....with one leg of the journey being jumped to First Class as I understand from my agent. Don't want the trip to be problematic for fellow passengers and would certainly try our best to keep the little one well behaved. I've read up on how compassionately people say that you shouldn't be too bothered about what the other passengers might say, etc etc....would just want to do my bit is all! Was wondering if people here have been in similar situations, and how they've coped with the same....how helpful the FA's are, dealing with other PAX, etc. Could use some experienced views....first time the little one's gonna be flying!

DEL-BKK: 4.30 hrs flying time

BKK-USM: 1 hr flying time

Thanks in advance!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Baby on Board - Thai Airways

Descent is actually the tougher time for them, in terms of potential for ear pain, so make sure you have something for them then too,

Agree fully with florian also,,,they key part is caring and looking like you are trying to manage your child. If that's the case, very few people will have an issue, most of us have been there and done that and will feel for you. Ignore any grumpies who don't. It's the parents that don't care that annoy most people... I don't think that's the case here.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,818 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Baby on Board - Thai Airways

I've done this many times.

If you introduce yourself to the person sitting behind you, say "my son is usually a great flyer (or 'it's his first flight'), and we're prepared to keep him occupied, but just in case we want to make sure you're comfortable: can I offer you some earplugs?" I promise you that unless they're a grinch looking for something to be upset about they'll appreciate it.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,240 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Baby on Board - Thai Airways

If you introduce yourself to the person sitting behind you, say "my son is usually a great flyer (or 'it's his first flight'), and we're prepared to keep him occupied, but just in case we want to make sure you're comfortable: can I offer you some earplugs?"

==============================================

No doubting it's well intentioned but personally if someone did this to me me I would consider it a bit wierd in all honesty.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,544 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Baby on Board - Thai Airways

I think the ear plug thing is crazy.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
79 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Baby on Board - Thai Airways

Many thanks to all the good folks here! The advice and suggestions have been of great help, needless to say reassuring! The rest, guess we'll just have to wait and find out. Hopefully he'll doze off as it's a night flight and shouldn't be much of a problem. He never took to a bottle as an infant....went straight to his glass/ tumblers! Will give him something to chew on....a couple of feeds could perhaps do the trick. He loves his drawing books so that's there aplenty.

Still a bit apprehensive about approaching other passengers pre-flight....think I'll play that one by the ear, if needed.

Once again, many thanks!

K30
Cornwall
Level Contributor
611 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Baby on Board - Thai Airways

Ive just done a couple of flights with my youngsters (23 months and 3 months old). They were amazing on the outbound flight. On the way home, however, it was a different story. My 3 month old screamed the entire flight, nothing I could do would settle her. BUT, everyone could see I was trying, so they were very understanding. An American band were on board and told me she will be a great singer!!!

My 23 month old flipped out a little with about 30 mins to go. Again, we did everything we could to settle him. In the end my husband and I swapped kids and that settled my son. I think because of this, people were understanding. Its awful, and you want the ground to swallow you when they are so upset for no reason, but people are understsnding for the most part. We found our son (the older one) liked watching Barney on the ipad with his new headphones for use on the plane, sticker books, snacks and drinks.

Our flight thankfully was domestic so short.

Best of luck, do your best and try not to worry. If

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
79 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Baby on Board - Thai Airways

I feel you K30, must have been the longest flight for you! Good to know that the passengers were understanding though, always helps! It's not like we parents like to have our kids screaming with discomfort. Hopefully, we'll get a decent (read: understanding) crowd!

18. Re: Baby on Board - Thai Airways

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2015, 05:16