We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel insurance for flight only

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
255 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Travel insurance for flight only

Mother wants travel insurance for flight only from Australia to UK return. She has duel citizenship so doesnt need medical while in the UK. She is staying with family while there.

Can we get insurance for her? She is 82

50 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,296 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel insurance for flight only

I know that you can get Comprehensive Cover which includes everything and just Medical cover. I've never heard of cover for flights only when flying internationally.

Kiama, Australia
Level Contributor
2,952 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel insurance for flight only

I assume you would need medical cover for the flight portion, as such full comprehensive is the only option. At 82yo, that will be a significant cost.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,454 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel insurance for flight only

There would be almost no demand for such a policy, so I doubt whether one exists. Maybe try talking with a travel agent: a local independent one rather than one of the chains that infest shopping centres.

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,427 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel insurance for flight only

In the UK an insurance broker can arrange cover for anything, no doubt it's the same in Australia. But one offs are expensive , shouldn't think you'll save any money. Probably better and cheaper to buy a normal package deal.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,687 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel insurance for flight only

Eligibility for free NHS care is dependent on residency, not citizenship. She probably does need medical cover.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,876 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel insurance for flight only

Yes, she will probably need medical cover, as brittraveller is right, medical care is dependent on residency. At 82, it would be a sensible option to take.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,322 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel insurance for flight only

In all probability she would have to pay for any medical treatment in the UK regardless of dual citizenship.

adviceguide.org.uk/nireland/healthcare_ni/he…

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,010 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel insurance for flight only

And even if medical coverage wasn't needed, what if her luggage was lost or stolen? Or her handbag? I'd get comprehensive insurance just for the peace of mind, and it may work out not all that expensive compared to a custom flight-only policy.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,509 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel insurance for flight only

Here in the USA when you buy an airline ticket the airline itself asks you if you want trip insurance that covers your flight/lost luggage etc.

We also often have that sort of coverage from the credit card that we use to purchase the flight. It is not an uncommon sort of insurance.

It is interesting that folks from other countries would think it unusual.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,664 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel insurance for flight only

it has already been said - but this is really important:

you have to sign a form saying you have been wholly resident in the uk for the previous six months to qualify for nhs treatment. you could lie, of course, but checks are made. and the possible penalties include a jail sentence.

Reply to: Travel insurance for flight only
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted