We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport changes, advice/help

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Airport changes, advice/help

Hi,

I originally booked my flights from Iceland to New York, and was planning on staying in New York for a few days before going down to New Orleans.

My plans have now changed slightly, and plan on staying with my girlfriend in Boston.

So I now plan on going from JFK to Boston as soon as I touch down in JFK.

Is there anyway I can get my luggage transferred onto a Boston flight, instead of having to check out and then re-check in?

Many thanks

Andy

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,517 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Airport changes, advice/help

+44 20 7874 1000 is their normal contact number. Try that.

This site lists normal numbers for companies http://www.saynoto0870.com/numbersearch.php

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Airport changes, advice/help

Many thanks.

Icelandair told me it would cost an extra £222.30 to change my flight over to a Iceland to Boston flight

Edited: 28 March 2014, 14:49
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,042 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Airport changes, advice/help

IF you can get a NYC to Boston flight that's a lot less expensive make sure you leave TONS of time between flights. IF you happen to miss that 2nd flight because your Icelandair flight is late then you'd have to re-buy your ticket so be careful in the timing.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Airport changes, advice/help

Icelandair told me it would cost an extra £222.30 to change my flight

======

I would pay it. The alternative is you'd have to buy another flight, that's probably going to cost £100 at least, maybe £150, and you'd have to allow a LOT of time, as said above for the interconnect, immigration delays, rescheduling, late flight on the day. I'd pay £100 to avoid all that hassle and still a possible chance of a miss and then a super-expensive on the day purchase.

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Airport changes, advice/help

JFK to Boston is £70ish.

I also went on to the icelandair website, and to change my flight (23rd June (Iceland to JFK)) TO a day earlier, same journey just a day earlier...Its free of charge.

Just re-rang up, and they quoted me £186 for the change (22nd June Iceland- Boston), which 30mins ago I was quoted £222.

But for the flight on 23rd June it would only be an extra £53

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,517 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Airport changes, advice/help

Why not just go to JFK and then take the Amtrak train to Boston. Leaves from Penn Station which is really easy to get to from the airport (Airtrain to Jamacia St station then subway or Long Island Rail Road train to Penn Station).

The express train to Boston leaves every hour and takes 3h37m. Then you can see a bit of the countryside rather than another flight.

UK
Level Contributor
5,406 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Airport changes, advice/help

"So I shall have to do immigration, even if I won't be leaving the terminal?

You are entering the USA, so why do you think you wouldn't have to go through Immigration??

It doesn't matter where you are in the world, if you are transferring from an international flight to a domestic one you have to go through Immigration. Some countries (like the USA) even make you go through Immigration if you are transferring to another international flight.

In most countries (EU countries are a notable exception) you also have to clear Customs at your point of entry. The way this works in the USA, *if* you have a through ticket to your final destination, is that you pick up your baggage (which will already be tagged to your final destination), take it through Customs and then drop it onto a conveyor belt immediately the other side of Customs - so no need to go to a desk landside. If your bag is not tagged to your final destination then you have to go into the check-in hall and check it in there.

I can't quite work out from your various posts what you finally decided to do, but if you are still planning to fly to JFK and then continue to Boston, on a separate ticket, then you really want to allow about five or six hours between flights (including some contingency time in case your first flight is late). Even on a through ticket it's normally recommended that you allow about three hours as a non-US citizen, because of the looong queues at Immigration.... though it's not as critical on a through ticket as your connection is protected, i.e., if you get delayed you get rebooked onto the next available flight.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Airport changes, advice/help

Personally I would pay the change fee, as others have said you need to leave a lot if time and by that I don't mean three hours, I would be aiming for five or six. You could end up struggling for time or you could end up hanging around. It's all a pain in the backside, I'd pay it for convenience. Especially after a long haul flight in economy,,,that's no fun and no one walks off the plane feeling great.

On top of this, if there is a schedule change, which happens frequently. you could find you are out of pocket anyway and can't make the second leg,,,and have to buy another ticket again at a walk up fare. And still deal with all the Immigration issues.

If more budget than hassle sensitive the train is also a good suggestion.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Airport changes, advice/help

what flights do you have on the single ticket, if you skip one of the flights you will likely flnd the subsequent legs cancelled - if the JFK-MSY was the last leg on a ticket then that will be fine to skip but if you have return flights you may end up ticketless

Edited: 29 March 2014, 14:08
Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Airport changes, advice/help

Hi all,

thankyou for you help/ Advice.

Going to get the flight changed to a, Iceland - Boston and pay the extra £50.

Need to ring Delta up, and see if they can change my JFK-MSY to a BOS-MSY, and see how much they charge me.

If too much, will just get a flight to JFK a day earlier and go to New York for a night, then fly on the original flight to New Orleans.

"but if you have return flights you may end up ticketless" All my tickets I have bought are single way, as doing Gatwick - Iceland- (Boston) - New Orleans - Fort Lauderdale - Gatwick.