We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can i pack ice gel mats into packed lunch for flight???

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
6,546 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Can i pack ice gel mats into packed lunch for flight???

Hi,

Planning on taking packed lunches on plane with us, what i would like to know is can we pack our sandwiches/bagguettes between these thermos ice gel sheets to keep them cold and fresh? would also buy juice & water airside, which would keep that cold too. i have looked at easyjet site and cant find anything relating to this

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,147 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can i pack ice gel mats into packed lunch for flight???

Hi

No you can't, but a good option is get yourself a few 100ml bottles and fill them with water before freezing them. Apart from the few minutes they go through security they can be packed with your sandwiches keeping them chilled and fresh.

Jackie

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
6,546 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can i pack ice gel mats into packed lunch for flight???

Thanks for this Jackie,

So basically what you are saying is get a few refillable bottles (100ml size) fill with water. freeze and put into a ziplock bag, then transfer into packed lunch bag airside? why oh why do airports give us so much grief???

They treat all passengers as potential criminals....

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can i pack ice gel mats into packed lunch for flight???

I think Jackie may be referring to bottled water that is already factory-sealed (as opposed to a re-usable bottle that you would fill with water then freeze).

In our experience, an unsealed bottle that contains liquid (other than shampoo or conditioner) can be confiscated by security personnel.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,350 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can i pack ice gel mats into packed lunch for flight???

>>They treat all passengers as potential criminals<<

No, they treat all passengers as potential terrorists, which is what they should do. You know that you are not a terrorist, but the airport security services do not know that.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,322 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can i pack ice gel mats into packed lunch for flight???

<<,In our experience, an unsealed bottle that contains liquid (other than shampoo or conditioner) can be confiscated by security personnel>>.

Really?? In my fairly extensive experience as long as it is under 100mls and in your zip lock baggy no one looks at the contents

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can i pack ice gel mats into packed lunch for flight???

A packet of frozen peas would work.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can i pack ice gel mats into packed lunch for flight???

" why oh why do airports give us so much grief??" Maybe 9/11??? Chuck.

8. Re: Can i pack ice gel mats into packed lunch for flight???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 March 2014, 16:38
Edited: 30 March 2014, 16:38
9. Re: Can i pack ice gel mats into packed lunch for flight???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2014, 16:19
Cashmere, Washington
Level Contributor
56 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can i pack ice gel mats into packed lunch for flight???

In my experience traveling with a friend who has diabetes and has to keep her medication chilled, it was ok to bring on gel paks as long as they are actually frozen when you go through security. We had to spend a night in Miami en route to Jamaica and it was important that we not only had a fridge for the insulin but also a freezer for the gel pak. She did not have any special "pass" or pre-clearance, that was just the rule. I think that would be ok for food too, but of course it'd be best to check with TSA first- worse case scenario is they take your gel pak at security though- not that big a deal. And this is in the US I'm speaking of, so not sure how it would be elsewhere- good luck!

Edited: 30 March 2014, 04:17